• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc 2021-22 Fall/Winter Whamby Thread

Good questions

I'm still finding answers for your first question. More to this in this journal entry - https://journals.ametsoc.org/view/journals/clim/28/15/jcli-d-14-00413.1.xml

For your second question, it's likely both - vice versa. But, the SSTs along the Tropic of Cancer definitely influences the SSTs in the north Atlantic as well and not only atmospheric changes. The SSTs along the Tropic of Cancer influence the SSTs further north because of the Gulf stream/current.
@GaWx To further add to question 2 - after the passage of hurricane Sandy, the SSTs in the Atlantic plummeted, and in result, November of 2012 was below normal in the southeastern US. (Take a look at the graphics below - first graphic is the SSTs after the passage of hurricane Sandy. And the 2nd graphic is air temp anomalies of November 2012.) As the SSTs increased, December of 2012 became warm with above normal temperatures. I find this very interesting, and it supports the claim of the SSTs effecting the weather across the eastern US.
76b00e627333e066ea7ec2b1ae3dcff7.jpg
29ca5dbede3525bb32fd5ce108673673.jpg

CFC was a dream run for basically the whole board. Mid-January snow depth (of course at this range, it's all in fun):
aaaa1.jpg

Run through the whole month. Notice Florida (once in a 100-year kind of thing): https://www.pivotalweather.com/model.php?m=cfs&p=prateptype_cat&rh=2021121900&fh=432

Edit: Lol..also check out the temperatures for the last half of the run. This would probably be the coldest temps and/or cold period in records. Too bad we really can't take this seriously; next run could show a torch.

Last edited:
View attachment 98435
Wow hour 384 of the gfs looking so good. ?
Your forecast for the week: temps falling to low 40s by afternoon, highs in the 40s tomorrow and Tuesday, mid upper 50s Wednesday back to low 50s Thursday, seasonal. Personally I'm gonna enjoy the winter like weather the next few days

I used to be on a weather forum with a guy from New Zealand . He would go on about living in the rare “ ski orange zone “ basically he could ski the slopes and grow oranges at home . Something you could do in the area your picture was taken .
Palm Springs

That overnight CFS run showed what I thought was a perfect scenario to break all-time cold records. Question for a met (or anybody with the knowledge): How cold can we actually get with the perfect setup? 20 below for RDU?
The record is like -8 there or something? I’m guessing that was perfect set up? I don’t see how it could ever get to -20 in RAH

That overnight CFS run showed what I thought was a perfect scenario to break all-time cold records. Question for a met (or anybody with the knowledge): How cold can we actually get with the perfect setup? 20 below for RDU?
The record at RDU as it stands is already colder than much of the region bar cold spots like Siler City , Louisburg and places in the foothills. Even Roxboro has a higher record low I think, albeit 1 degree. Not even Asheville or Nashville have hit -20. The -9 in 1985 beat the previous all time of -2. So it’s a pretty big difference , technically the night before the -9 was -3 but that’s still a 6 degree between first and second coldest lows.

BAM has spoken! Get your mankinis out, sharpen the lawnmower blades, and check your lawn spreader and preemergent supplies!

Back