• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc 2021-22 Fall/Winter Whamby Thread

Actually , I know a younger guy with the sherrifs department in Franklin county . He has a canine unit and does drug busts. Perhaps mets know him.

Wow that's a pretty big drop. I'm still struggling to understand where all of the workers are. I can kind of see it if you have extra unemployment being given out, but my understanding is that has mostly stopped now. People just not wanting to work is a head-scratcher, though. How are they buying things and/or paying bills?

And the problem is across multiple sectors, fast food, retail, warehousing, trucking, your field, etc.
Stonk millionaires. Only possible explanation.

Stonk millionaires. Only possible explanation.

Also, could a good number of young people be on things like Twitch doing "RP" streaming for computer games?? I've learned that some of them are making an absolute fortune mainly through getting subscribers ("subs" as they call them) and advertising. Also, others are doing "IRL" streaming making a lot of money. With these much better opportunities for young people, they don't need a regular job.

Last edited:
I'm sure if you follow them on Twitter it looks like they do.
I'm not saying no one is making bank on stocks these days. Because there certainly is a new breed of players since the pandemic started. But they were discussing where a sizable chunk of the workforce disappeared too.

I am coaching my son's basketball team again this season. Couldn't get my daughter to play this time. I am really looking forward to playing again since there wasn't a season last year due to COVID. But iur first practice is tonight, and I might only have 4 or 5 out of 10 players there because some of them are still playing other sports. We only have 7 practices before the games start. Really hard to get anything done with that many players missing.

I'm not saying no one is making bank on stocks these days. Because there certainly is a new breed of players since the pandemic started. But they were discussing where a sizable chunk of the workforce disappeared too.
I actually did real good . Won’t disclose but I’m doing good . obviously not quitting everything now tho lol

I am coaching my son's basketball team again this season. Couldn't get my daughter to play this time. I am really looking forward to playing again since there wasn't a season last year due to COVID. But iur first practice is tonight, and I might only have 4 or 5 out of 10 players there because some of them are still playing other sports. We only have 7 practices before the games start. Really hard to get anything done with that many players missing.
Maybe they are missing because they too are stuck in a surprise snowstorm on their bus ….

Also, could a good number of young people be on things like Twitch doing "RP" streaming for computer games?? I've learned that some of them are making an absolute fortune mainly through getting subscribers ("subs" as they call them) and advertising. Also, others are doing "IRL" streaming making a lot of money. With these much better opportunities for young people, they don't need a regular job.

“The part that everyone is missing about the labor shortage is the fact that there are so many opportunities for people in digital spaces that would not be considered ‘employment,’ but more like contract work or self-employment,” he wrote.

“I see it all the time.

“Take Instagram for example: A half-way decent influencer there can make enough to justify not working at Starbucks wages.

“And if some people try hard enough, they can eventually make more than most people do.

“YouTube, TikTok, Google AdSense, Instagram, Only Fans, Twitch — the list goes on and on of where people are making enough money to not have to work at the car wash.”

Yeah I mean there are some I'm sure, but overall so much what you see online is fake, especially in the market. Fake accounts, Fake stock earnings etc. Then when somebody calls them out its on to the next Fake profile. And then the ones that actually do ok I wonder how they make out when Uncle Sam comes knocking.

Goodness, the workforce, or lack thereof, is becoming so problematic. We literally are averaging 7 resignations a week (across central region not the whole state, that number is probably at least tripled) and only about 5 or 6 interviews a week. Not all those that interview are qualified either, so those outgoing far outnumbering those incoming. It's a disaster waiting to happen
Our last monthly meeting that was summarizing numbers from September, our attrition rate was 102%!!!! ???
Which means if they brought in 50 new employed, 52 quit! ??
It’s horrible out here too! There’s a Walmart near here that is starting out regular employees at 16$ hr

Our last monthly meeting that was summarizing numbers from September, our attrition rate was 102%!!!! ???
Which means if they brought in 50 new employed, 52 quit! ??
It’s horrible out here too! There’s a Walmart near here that is starting out regular employees at 16$ hr
I don't believe people are suddenly quitting for these better jobs. Something isn't adding up here at all. Why is it now? Where are all these magical high-paying jobs all these unskilled workers are suddenly clamoring for? Also no, literally .001% of all people are making money as influencers so no that argument doesn't work.

“The part that everyone is missing about the labor shortage is the fact that there are so many opportunities for people in digital spaces that would not be considered ‘employment,’ but more like contract work or self-employment,” he wrote.

“I see it all the time.

“Take Instagram for example: A half-way decent influencer there can make enough to justify not working at Starbucks wages.

“And if some people try hard enough, they can eventually make more than most people do.

“YouTube, TikTok, Google AdSense, Instagram, Only Fans, Twitch — the list goes on and on of where people are making enough money to not have to work at the car wash.”

Doordash for me. Say what you want but I'm making double what my retail job paid for years and I'm home for a couple hours each afternoon ? not to mention just work whenever and no boss yeah it has its issues sometimes but the freedom is something else

Granted there's no paid time off but like wanna take a day off? Don't have to clear it with anyone ?

Back