• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

2020-2021 Winter: Early Thoughts

We had one very nice snow event last year despite the crappiest MJO possible and with temps approaching (and making it in areas of NGA) the 100F mark in October so all it takes is one good anomalous event which they all seem to be here in the south lately.

That being said and just short of observing animal behavior and wooly worms (j/k) and certainly not looking at any indices which haven't amounted to squat as far as I am concerned, the summer pattern feels different to me this year being closer to normal heat and not starting early and hopefully not extending well into October like last year. Will it translate to winter? Probably not but I like the seemingly different pattern we have enjoyed this summer. Just the eternal optimist I guess. If you err on the side of heat and lower your expectations, you will likely not be disappointed and any winter weather will just be gravy.

Larry, I have a question. Do you think if the niña stays or gets stronger from current state, that we could see a cold start to winter, specifically in December? I mean the aleutian ridge going poleward like Anthony masiello has mentioned before?

Larry, I have a question. Do you think if the niña stays or gets stronger from current state, that we could see a cold start to winter, specifically in December? I mean the aleutian ridge going poleward like Anthony masiello has mentioned before?

Anything's possible, especially for one month, but I'd rather there be an Aleutian trough since that teleconnects with an E US trough. Aleutian ridge teleconnects with a SE ridge. Examples: recent winters.

This is largely thanks to the very warm Indonesian waters and the waters are still very warm with no sign of a cooldown.
Maybe we need a few large volcanoes to pop off in the tropic regions to reel the heat back in in those parts. Or maybe some volcanoes near the poles wouldn't hurt to build up the cold where it counts. Especially since large volcanoes near the poles tend to be of longer lasting effect than tropical volcanoes.

Big surge of cold water in the central ENSO zones. Likely all but confirming the case for a weak Niña into the fall and end of year.

6830E163-0D20-4902-9EBB-5A5707137713.gif

Big surge of cold water in the central ENSO zones. Likely all but confirming the case for a weak Niña into the fall and end of year.

View attachment 46366
I don’t know about other areas around the SE but the last 2 weak niñas (2016-17 and 2017-18) have brought decent snow to my area - Much better than this past winter. So I’m cautiously looking forward to this.

Back