• This website or discussions about the COVID-19 virus outbreak should be taken as entertainment. For official information on how to plan and prepare, please go to The Offical CDC Homepage By Clicking Here
  • Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

2020-2021 Winter: Early Thoughts

Lickwx

Reaction score
I hope for a lot of 35 degree rains, sleet, sitting within driving distance of the rain/snow line watching Brick score
How do you think I feel? I’m even closer to wake forest and the glory it has . Wake forest is the reason I like warm weather now.

GaWx

Supporter
Reaction score
I can assure you that most of the weather videos that show up on YouTube, produced by people you've never heard of, are crap.
Notwithstanding that I appreciate and can identify with the winter enthusiasm of these young folks. they're largely crap because they're almost always heavily biased cold and snowy in the Midwest and NE US, where most of these folks live. This one is, not surprisingly, no exception. Let me know when there's one that is warm and with BN snowfall in most of the E half of the US and I'll a) faint; and b) give them kudos for being different.

I'd much prefer to listen to what an unbiased pro met company, like Maxar, has. They're much more interested in accuracy and keep any weenie feelings out of their forecasts.

My latest feelings haven't changed. Whereas a weak La Nina (assuming we have it) isn't itself a warm indicator for the SE (it averages pretty neutral unlike the mean warmth from a mod to strong Nina), the very warm Indonesian waters very much favor warm MJO phases dominating like they have in recent winters. Combine that with a globe that continues to warm, I see no reason to not expect still another solidly AN winter in
the SE US/trend is our friend (or enemy in this case). I still expect, as happens every winter, a good number of cold and snowy winter forecasts because that's what wx hobbyists do.

Last edited:

ForsythSnow

Staff member
Reaction score
Notwithstanding that I appreciate and can identify with the winter enthusiasm of these young folks. they're largely crap because they're almost always heavily biased cold and snowy in the Midwest and NE US, where most of these folks live. This one is, not surprisingly, no exception. Let me know when there's one that is warm and with BN snowfall in most of the E half of the US and I'll a) take note; and b) give them kudos for being different.

I'd much prefer to listen to what an unbiased pro met company, like Maxar, has. They're much more interested in accuracy and keep any weenie feelings out of their forecasts.

My latest feelings haven't changed. Whereas a weak La Nina (assuming we have it) isn't itself a warm indicator for the SE (it averages pretty neutral unlike the mean warmth from a mod to strong Nina), the very warm Indonesian waters very much favor warm MJO phases dominating like they have in recent winters. Combine that with a globe that continues to warm, I see no reason to not expect still another solidly AN winter in
the SE US/trend is our friend (or enemy in this case). I still expect, as happens every winter, a good number of cold and snowy winter forecasts because that's what wx hobbyists do.
Given how this year has gone I wouldn't be surprised if we end up near average or slightly below for at least one or two months this winter. I'm feeling like we will be colder and drier than past winters given a more neutral nina.

Rain Cold

Fixed
Staff member
Reaction score
Given how this year has gone I wouldn't be surprised if we end up near average or slightly below for at least one or two months this winter. I'm feeling like we will be colder and drier than past winters given a more neutral nina.
We better get all the snow we can by mid-December.