Misc 2019 Banter & Friendly Conservation

• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!
I always cheered for the whammies. My favorite whammy when it was on in the 80s was the Michael Jackson one.

FlimsyFatherlyBluefish-size_restricted.gif
Yeah I remember that one specifically. Love that one!

Reactions: Myfrotho704_
Last edited:
Speaking of rip currents from the whamby thread, more than 50 people have been rescued at NC beaches this year after getting caught in rip currents. On Memorial Day weekend, at least 20 people had to be rescued from dangerous rip currents at Wrightsville and Carolina Beach, according to lifeguard reports and the National Weather Service. At least eight drowning deaths have been reported along the central North Carolina coast in the past month, with rip currents blamed for at least six of the deaths. I read an article that beach erosion caused by hurricane Florence might be the reason the rip currents are so bad this year.

What I don't get is why people continue to go out in the ocean after all this and when there are red flags out warning people about the rip currents.

I bet it is similar to the reason folks like to chase tornadoes and hurricanes. Some folks thrive on the risk of being in dangerous situations.

Reactions: Rosie
Hiked the Pinnacle Trail today! PERFECT day for a view.

The whole hike is right at 10 miles. And about 1800 feet in elevation gain.

It’s an old fire tower that has been re-modeled into an observation tower. Fairly unnerving since it’s grated metal and you can see straight down 40+ feet too the ground haha
D0FD81F0-2F03-48FF-BE35-C2979861ABC6.png

Here is a scaled down pano since original is too large.
1D5209A7-8006-43D8-B14D-27FBFD4D6B9A.jpeg

Absolutely gorgeous weather today.

Few more scaled down pics.
0E356DA1-C175-4B7B-945F-563C46390237.png118D0C58-93CE-494B-948F-4E678E2740CF.png

Hiked the Pinnacle Trail today! PERFECT day for a view.

The whole hike is right at 10 miles. And about 1800 feet in elevation gain.

It’s an old fire tower that has been re-modeled into an observation tower. Fairly unnerving since it’s grated metal and you can see straight down 40+ feet too the ground haha
View attachment 20419

Here is a scaled down pano since original is too large.
View attachment 20421

Absolutely gorgeous weather today.

Few more scaled down pics.
View attachment 20422View attachment 20423
Dadgum!
Makes my walks look less than juvenile ...

False rain only happens if you didn’t mount it correctly or if there’s bird landings. There’s a large tree close to my property with birds and I haven’t had a landing yet. It only seems to happen to stations mounted in big open fields. Even if it happens, it registers as 0.01-0.08” liquid or so. Still, it’s unwanted, so there’s ways to bird proof it by using wx resistant/UV tape and taping spikes to the outside. I didn’t have to do that though.

The pros to me are:
1) flash firmware updates from your hub to the station
2) solar panel so never have to replace batteries or run cable
3) more wind data from more directions
4) no radiation shield or fan needed because the temperature gauge is a separate unit which communicates to the hub, just place it in shade.
5) rain sensor allows you to relax and not worry about bird crap clogging it or malfunctioning
6) it works with IFTTT and other algorithm type apps to generate custom push notifications for any measured obs (maybe the record low is 8° and you want to know when it hits 7.9° it will send a push notification when it does so)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the feed back Jon. My friend just bought one and put it online yesterday! What I've seen and read I think it's better than my Davis. I will be getting one pretty soon!!! Thanks again!

Reactions: snowlover91 and Jon