• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc 2019 Banter & Friendly Conservation

This colder pattern reminds me of the recent colder winter patterns where winter threats consist of Miller Bs or ABs or storms that run just along or inland from the coast. I honestly don’t know what set of variables it takes to get a storm to move west to east underneath us anymore. Whatever they are, they don’t happen anymore.

This colder pattern reminds me of the recent colder winter patterns where winter threats consist of Miller Bs or ABs or storms that run just along or inland from the coast. I honestly don’t know what set of variables it takes to get a storm to move west to east underneath us anymore. Whatever they are, they don’t happen anymore.

Agreed. I thought with the Active STJ we'd be more likely to have true Miller A going west to east and up the coast. But alas they're not coming. December storm was a hybrid too but stayed south because of a nice 50/50 low.

I too would like to know what needs to change to get our pattern more conducive for a Miller A.

Agreed. I thought with the Active STJ we'd be more likely to have true Miller A going west to east and up the coast. But alas they're not coming. December storm was a hybrid too but stayed south because of a nice 50/50 low.

I too would like to know what needs to change to get our pattern more conducive for a Miller A.

Lots of luck.

IBM announced that they will be introducing the world’s highest-resolution global weather forecasting model later in 2019--the IBM Global High-Resolution Atmospheric Forecasting System (GRAF). The model will be the first hourly-updating weather model that is able to predict something as small as a thunderstorm virtually anywhere on the planet.
The current top global forecasting models, the European (ECMWF) model and the U.S. GFS model, subdivide the global atmosphere into grid boxes that average 9 kilometers and 13 kilometers on a side, respectively, then solve the mathematical equations of atmospheric flow to generate a forecast for each of those grid cells. The new GRAF model employs a variable-resolution grid, resembling a honeycomb, that can be configured with higher resolution over areas of particular interest (Figure 1). Over land areas, the GRAF grid elements will have average resolutions of 3 km, which is about 3 - 4 times greater than the European and GFS models.

This is really exciting. So, we get the new FV3 in operation soon, and now this coming later this year. I hope the runs of the GRAF will be available to the public, too.

Unicorn? -NAO?

I never understood why it mattered if it was left open.
e37.png

Supposedly the NWS forecasts (including the GFS) are worse due to gov't shutdown... I wouldn't think that they are much less accurate though

I am rooting for the Euro because it gives me 5"+. But i dont wanna take away snow and ice from the south.

Back