• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc 2019 Banter & Friendly Conservation

20 years from now we will look back on this time period and reminisce about the good old days. With the way the Earth is warming I foresee a time when winters cease to exist in the south outside of the mountains.
tenor.gif

If that's the case I hope Jesus comes back before then
I am sure there was a time in ancient history when places like Gainesville, FL got snow every year. Now look at them. They are lucky to get a flake every 100 years ! I am afraid that is what will happen to Atlanta.

RC asked about winter being canceled. I’m wondering who is riding the EPS and who is riding the GEFS?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The good news is this will be our 4th AN normal winter in a row, 6 out of the past 8. Zero chance it will be 5 in a row. :rolleyes:

Lol. It's January 1 everybody, how in the world can winter be over? Even assuming eps is right, February is still very easily on the table. Sure it could be over, but dang. The models only go out 2 weeks. Lol.

In my mind it's January 1, which is the real first day of winter imo.

That historical wx thread I ended up stumbling on in google search instead of here was interesting. There's a few significant events that happened where you wouldn't think of it in Georgia (16-18 inches of snow in Savannah as one of them), but not much on Florida. Five inches fell on the Georgia-Florida border was it.

Phil, do you have more historical cases?

Lol. It's January 1 everybody, how in the world can winter be over? Even assuming eps is right, February is still very easily on the table. Sure it could be over, but dang. The models only go out 2 weeks. Lol.

LOL....What does that have to do with the winter being AN or BN? It's a safe bet the first 3 weeks of January will be AN, probably well AN. It's going to have to fierce cold from end of January through Feb to overcome Dec/Jan being well AN. Can it happen...sure, but highly doubt it. Been saying for weeks now we probably get a 2-3 week window in February, still looks like best bet. Warmth is winning this winter, and has been the past 3 winters.

People forget, Feb 2015 was really cold and snowy, but that was a 2-3 week period in Feb. The thing that saved the winter from being AN was the first half of January was solidly BN. We aren't getting that this winter.

Screen Shot 2019-01-01 at 4.45.03 PM.png

Easy for you to say. You are north of Charlotte where snow is easier to come by. For folks in the deep south I can easily see why people are panicing given how the first half of Jan looks. By Valentines Day winter is usually over along and south of I-20 which leaves a very short time frame in which to score.

Thank goodness LSU beat UCF maybe they will quiet down now... Happy New Year all.

Sent from my LGL64VL using Tapatalk

That historical wx thread I ended up stumbling on in google search instead of here was interesting. There's a few significant events that happened where you wouldn't think of it in Georgia (16-18 inches of snow in Savannah as one of them), but not much on Florida. Five inches fell on the Georgia-Florida border was it.

Phil, do you have more historical cases?
Some ...

http://climatecenter.fsu.edu/topics/winters

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snow_in_Florida

and what's attached ...

I have more but uploading is not possible ... maybe this helps????

Attachments

• W4HM's Florida Historic Cold Weather Archive.pdf
    309.4 KB · Views: 2
  • W4HM's Florida Weather And Geological Facts.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Back