• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc 2018 Banter & Venting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah I dont doubt this has been the best winter ever for places in South Texas and a large part of Central AL/GA, the coastal areas of GA/SC, etc

but a lot of northern areas ain't had crap other than dry cold(Dallas, Memphis, Huntsville, Columbia, Charlotte, probably Raleigh, the list goes on...)
I'm not sure about AL/GA though. 1993 was better for many of those areas. And 1989 will be hard to top in coastal GA/SC. I have no clue about south Texas.

I have not seen how 1980 went though outside of the Carolinas. I forgot about 1979, but that one could be considered as well.

Maybe, Webber has info right at his fingertips, but to the best of my recollection the winter of 1980 was rather impressive for the south.

I checked what your weather said and you had a -10 dewpoint. Fitting... That band the NAM had did form but with me at 30/8 and the dewpoint steadily dropping it's likely to be a virga storm. It's not a big deal though.
Today's storm was virtually an identical repeat of the December 1989 storm. During both storms, it snowed as close as Fitzgerald/Douglas and absolutely nothing held here. Seeing as how we were predicted to get at least a dusting of snow, people actually drove down to Lumber City (the closest place that had snow) to take their children to see the event. I doubt that I ever go through such a trying storm over the course of my life and it was literally pure torture to be under a virga storm that had little chance of advancing to the next stage of fruition. If we score here, it's generally during a weak El Nino and today's train wreck proves in my mind that we are just slightly too for north to score off a system like this one/December 1989.

I tried to post a video but it’s not showing up as an option on Tapatalk. Anyone know why my pictures only and not videos are available?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think it might be time to bow out gracefully before bitter takes over. Good luck everyone

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

But RAH just put us under a warning and increased the totals. That's like a guarantee.

Or Charlotte, or Columbia. or Athens GA so this is not even close to the best winter in the south. 1987 and 1993 and perhaps 1982 and 1983 come to mind for that honor.

It flurried in CAE today.
Feb is best climo for us if the sun doesn't eat us.

Everyone who got little to no snow on this last event... take a step back and reflect just how much time you spent tracking it.

I know for me, I feel like I wasted too much time tracking. It's embarrassing, really, what we let stupid computer models do to our personal lives.

The biggest thing I learned from this last storm was, to stop wasting so much time. I was posting model runs at 11 AM - 5 AM. Freakin' embarrassing.

Everyone who got little to no snow on this last event... take a step back and reflect just how much time you spent tracking it.

I know for me, I feel like I wasted too much time tracking. It's embarrassing, really, what we let stupid computer models do to our personal lives.

The biggest thing I learned from this last storm was, to stop wasting so much time. I was posting model runs at 11 AM - 5 AM. Freakin' embarrassing.
I know the feeling man. Staying up late nights for the crazy GFS runs and euro only to come out with nothing. Sleepless nights and tiring days. Endless winter storm chasing. Very tiring indeed. Lesson learned. You'd think we would have learned our lesson about these crazy models by now.

damn, man... it's just a hobby.. some people waste time on video games, etc... if it's really messing up your life, then it's a problem .

I'm on break from college and do more than just this, but this really makes me think for my age...why is it that the first thing I wake up I check SouthernWX before doing other things?
I'm in the same position lol. College resumes on the 8th and I don't have class until the 9th, and other than that it's just a few work days a week as I'm part time. I happen to have a 4 day break this week and I'm on day 2 of it today. Nothing but time until then. I haven't ever stayed up for a 0Z Euro run. I just stay tired the next day if I stay up beyond midnight usually.

damn, man... it's just a hobby.. some people waste time on video games, etc... if it's really messing up your life, then it's a problem .

You're foregetting, that I have to maintain this site etc; so it kinda takes over, lol.

Blah blah blah, all y'all griping about the models and failed storms will be doing the same the next big storm threat. I know because I know. It's impossible to resist.

The addiction is real and that is sad coming from a counselor who deals w/people’s addictions almost daily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blah blah blah, all y'all griping about the models and failed storms will be doing the same the next big storm threat. I know because I know. It's impossible to resist.
I'm sure some will with this 8-9th storm. Someone's going to complain about being 33 and rain and if it happens I'll say "Be glad you have power and your tree branches aren't breaking"

Better than a drug habit..unless you have a model asphyxiation compounded by a drug habit. In that case, seek help

I haven't ever stayed up for a 0Z Euro run. I just stay tired the next day if I stay up beyond midnight usually.

I did a few times, but it wasn't "just" for the Euro, it was simply me being a night owl. Once I start class, I won't be able to and for a while I might just be checking in, unless I see a very real threat. I've gotten into a bad habit of staying up until 1:00-1:30 consistently if I don't have obligations early in the morning that I will need to stop soon.

I need the break. But I'll be back, I always am. Even when I was addicted to video games back when I was a teen, I had an eye on meteostar (this was before I made an effort to find other model sites) to see if winter would effect us. But those winters after 10/11 were so warm that for a while I wasn't very active. If it was cold with potential, I would have been around much more.

I work nights and have a boring job... plenty of time to scope out the 0z runs....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back