• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc 2018 Banter & Venting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I look at that radar and it makes me think the same thing I did with the Jan 2000 storm, wondering where all the precip was going to go. It was supposed to stay off the coast then.

C'mon, Brick! That was nearly 20 years ago. Southern winter storms may have a trick or two up its sleeve, but I doubt we see a colossal miss, per the models and mets ala 1973 and 2000, nowadays. Technology has come a come a good bit since 2000.

If the models screw things up on that particular scale, then I'll gladly choke down a heaping of crow.

Would be super fun to make the drive down 64 from Raleigh to the OBX today...

Actually I'd turn around at the Alligator River bridge...hate that thing in pristine weather. Can't imagine it in wintry mix/snow

C'mon, Brick! That was nearly 20 years ago. Southern winter storms may have a trick or two up its sleeve, but I doubt we see a colossal miss, per the models and mets ala 1973 and 2000, nowadays. Technology has come a come a good bit since 2000.

If the models screw things up on that particular scale, then I'll gladly choke down a heaping of crow.
They might have, but they still get it more wrong than right to when it comes to winter weather here. And then you have models spitting out different solutions from each other, all the time, and sometimes no consistency at all from run to run.

They might have, but they still get it more wrong than right to when it comes to winter weather here. And then you have models spitting out different solutions from each other, all the time, and sometimes no consistency at all from run to run.

kinda makes you think predicting the weather is...difficult!

Come on low! Stay west!

giphy.gif

Keyword is "colossal." You'll typically see a miss here or there nowadays (ie, strength of the storm and a few other variants in southern winter storms).

I just don't sense you'll see too many colossal misses nowadays. For instance, I doubt we have a miss where Columbia and/or Raleigh ends up with 4"+ of snow today.

If we had been forecasted for 2", and ended up with 4" or 5", then that's understandable. But, to be forecasted for practically zilch, and end up with a significant thumping of snow just isn't in the cards. I believe colossal busts are gonna be extremely rare.

Again, that's not to say it can't do so. Just very unlikely, nowadays.

The thing that gets at me is pretty decent returns were drying up for a while, it wasn't just like virga you see on wunderground/intellicast. It "may" have snowed in the southern part of the county while I was away but it was likely just flurries.

You had the rare case of greens being over you on the NWS radar with the dewpoints falling anyway lmao.

A lot of people clinging to hope in the main thread. It's going to be close but but I think indlanders will come up short. Lots of cold dry air once you come in off the coast. If it's any consolation, CMC is picking up on a raging pattern relaxation ice storm on Monday. Buckle up. It's gonna be another 5-6 days of tedious model watching

i am impressed that the models can sniff this kind of thing out days or a week in advance. it was obvious that something "similar" to what is happening today was going to happen, just from seeing various models at a glance on tv and on the websites. Sure, for public safety, it would be good to be able to nail snow down to the quarter inch and exactly where geographically and exactly when, but I don't think we'll see that in my lifetime, and I think i'm ok with that. For this latest one, I'd know if I was in SE GA, or around Charleston, I'd have a possible snow today, and thats good enough for me. Like so many other things in life, if you expect something that just isn't possible (yet) you are just going to be dissapointed. But you love the snow, I get it, (so do i) and after all, this thread has venting in its name.

That being said, you are one of my favorite "characters" here, but just wanted to say what I said.

ok while I'm at it, I've seen people say this cold is being wasted. I didn't always live in the snowy Tundra of North Ga. I grew up in middle/south GA, and I am so happy today for those who have to wait decades for this kind of thing. So to me, as i sit here looking at 30s and bright blue sky, I say, no, this not wasted.

ok while I'm at it, I've seen people say this cold is being wasted. I didn't always live in the snowy Tundra of North Ga. I grew up in middle/south GA, and I am so happy today for those who have to wait decades for this kind of thing. So to me, as i sit here looking at 30s and bright blue sky, I say, no, this not wasted.

Exactly, this wasn't a waste, this was December 1989 part two in the same areas, but I would really say south GA and the coastal areas.

Exactly, this wasn't a waste, this was December 1989 part two in the same areas, but I would really say south GA and the coastal areas.
Yep cold air hasn’t been a waste at all. My wife and I had a blast down by the frozen stream that is about 6 feet deep and 10-15 feet wide. Most of it was solid as a rock and we were throwing rocks as hard as possible to try and break the ice but the rocks were actually breaking themselves. The dogs loved it too.

Yep cold air hasn’t been a waste at all. My wife and I had a blast down by the frozen stream that is about 6 feet deep and 10-15 feet wide. Most of it was solid as a rock and we were throwing rocks as hard as possible to try and break the ice but the rocks were actually breaking themselves. The dogs loved it too.

The frozen stream thing that you've been describing is pretty unreal even though you are in the upper south. I "think" I've seen ice form on a lake but it's nowhere even close to that.

This is the most major of cold snaps we've had in a few years.

It’s actually
The frozen stream thing that you've been describing is pretty unreal even though you are in the upper south. I "think" I've seen ice form on a lake but it's nowhere even close to that.

This is the most major of cold snaps we've had in a few years.
There is some water running in little parts but yeah most of it is frozen solid. You could most likely walk across one side to the other but I wasn’t going to test my luck. I walked out to about 3 feet deep and there was no signs of breaking it. We actually finally went just above freezing today so unfortunately we won’t get to 7 straight days of below freezing temps. Last I checked it was 32.6 degrees but it’s probably at 33 by now. I haven’t gone to the stream today to see if there’s any significant melting but I hope not as I want to take my phone and get pictures to post on here. We should go back below freezing in a few hours and won’t get back above till Sunday with highs barely above 20 and lows in the single digits so it should freeze over even more by Saturday.

Last edited:
Unless something changes rapidly this will be three times I've been burned this winter, from early on it looked like things might work out better than expected but somehow it all ends the same. Congrats to the areas that have gotten snow and will get snow.

I'm beginning to lose passion for this hobby.

Unless something changes rapidly this will be three times I've been burned this winter, from early on it looked like things might work out better than expected but somehow it all ends the same. Congrats to the areas that have gotten snow and will get snow.

I'm beginning to lose passion for this hobby.
Charlotte was never in this event? That’s like saying Atlanta got burned today?

Sorry I didnt have time to read, so this is it for a while for mid south? Not doom and gloom, just seriously wondering?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back