• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc 2017 Banter/venting thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sometimes when your boat is sinking faster than the titanic you have to try everything to keep from sinking even if that means stealing ideas. Don't be shocked to see an honorary boat captain at some point....
Man the life boats

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

I love passion about weather, but outright plagiarism is just thievery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

and if anyone needs a visual, a reminder, or just a good reason to grab a cold beer ...

C4v_Je_Kn_WMAAAEET.jpg

At this point I'm rooting for us to have the warmest winter on record.

That isn't going to happen as 1889-90 is out of reach. However, passing 1879-80 and getting into 2nd place is possible. The 4th warmest is a virtual certainty.

That isn't going to happen as 1889-90 is out of reach. However, passing 1879-80 and getting into 2nd place is possible. The 4th warmest is a virtual certainty.
It is still something historic no doubt, especially in our century. Seeing that the record holders are in the late 1800s, it has certainly been a long time since this has happened. Wonder what will come next: more torching or something cold. We can only wait.

I like snow but I don't think I could handle 2 feet of it in one setting. Me personally a perfect event is one like <<< that one. (I'm meaning my avatar)

You think it could be even warmer than the incredibly warm 2011-2012 season ?

This storm is strange. Classic Miller A w/ heaviest axis of snow centered near to just east of Raleigh... Hard to explain the random hole in the heart of the I-95 corridor in the north-central coastal plain. Parallel/twin deformation bands? Tbh I think the snowfall gradient in Nash County is hilarious. 4" in Nashville, ~ 10 miles east in Rocky Mount, nearly a foot, lol...January 13-14 1933 NC Snowmap.png

This storm is strange. Classic Miller A w/ heaviest axis of snow centered near to just east of Raleigh... Hard to explain the random hole in the heart of the I-95 corridor in the north-central coastal plain. Parallel/twin deformation bands? Tbh I think the snowfall gradient in Nash County is hilarious. 4" in Nashville, ~ 10 miles east in Rocky Mount, nearly a foot, lol...View attachment 180
I sometimes wonder how accurate these old maps are. I mean it was 1933 !

I sometimes wonder how accurate these old maps are. I mean it was 1933 !

The data is pretty reasonable in this era and is consistent w/ other nearby reliable stations maintained in Raleigh, Charlotte, Wilmington, Asheville, and Greenville-Spartanburg, the real issue is actually the lack of data...

Practically all of the observations in the early part of the record fall under the Cooperative Observer Program (COOP) maintained since 1890... There are definitely some outliers and even some occasional reporting errors in the SERCC and/or NC Climate Office Data that I made note of and accounted for in some of these maps and the NCDC has already pre-screened a considerable amount of this data and removed snowfall from stations that were deemed "unreliable"... While some of the observations may not be nearly as reliable as in the latter portions of the record (where more stations become automated, which bring about their own inherent biases), this is the best data we currently have available up to this point in time... General trends, spatial patterns, identification of large-scale meteorological features, and a historical chronology of winter weather at specific locations can be reasonably estimated.

Practically all of the observations in the early part of the record fall under the Cooperative Observer Program (COOP) maintained since 1890... There are definitely some outliers and even some occasional reporting errors in the SERCC and/or NC Climate Office Data that I made note of and accounted for in some of these maps and the NCDC has already pre-screened a considerable amount of this data and removed snowfall from stations that were deemed "unreliable"... While some of the observations may not be nearly as reliable as in the latter portions of the record (where more stations become automated, which bring about their own inherent biases), this is the best data we currently have available up to this point in time... General trends, spatial patterns, identification of large-scale meteorological features, and a historical chronology of winter weather at specific locations can be reasonably estimated.

Creating a collection of several hundred maps detailing and archiving specific winter storms is vital to more efficiently assess how snow, sleet, and freezing rain frequencies, distributions, and geographical preferences have varied in time and ascertaining what elusive role(s) (if any) that anthropogenic climate change may play in modulating the background environment surrounding these winters storms. This archive is also necessary for the identification of potential future case studies, further quality control of the COOP dataset, and interpolation of missing station data, hence providing more accurate and precise local and regional winter wx climatologies

The National Weather Service in Raleigh currently maintains an extensive archive of weather events and case studies for central and eastern NC that goes back to hurricane hazel, with the last winter storm in January 1977. Expanding the number of events by seven to eight-fold and the length of the archive several times over is well worth the expense of poorer data quality...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back