• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry 1/7/17-1/10/17 Winter Storm

Yeah the eps was a huge improvement for areas to the west of the apps

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Another reason why I don't think it will go on a NW track is because, it doesn't make sense to me that a cold high drops down ahead of the energy out west. Usually, cold highs stay to the north across the mid-west and the pushes off to the east to the NE US or mid-Atlantic as the system to the south moves west to east. That low and high will be working together because of the clockwise around highs and counter clock wise winds around lows. The airflow should not allow that low to go NW.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk

Storm5 link said:

No doubt about that....I'm cautiously optimistic but if I was in TN I'd almost be giddy right now

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I'm hopeful this will not cut....i've been conditioned to fear the NW trend...LOL!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

metwannabe link said:
[quote author=Storm5 link=topic=80.msg6874#msg6874 date=1483364445]

No doubt about that....I'm cautiously optimistic but if I was in TN I'd almost be giddy right now

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

[/quote]

???????

NorthGAWinterWx link said:
Another reason why I don't think it will go on a NW track is because, it doesn't make sense to me that a cold high drops down ahead of the energy out west. Usually, cold highs stay to the north across the mid-west and the pushes off to the east to the NE US or mid-Atlantic as the system to the south moves west to east. That low and high will be working together because of the clockwise around highs and counter clock wise winds around lows. The airflow should not allow that low to go NW.

Very valid point.  We very well could be looking at one of our biggest storms in recent memory..should 06z be the outcome.  That's a big if. Ha.  But one must admit the cold is here...and clearly the moisture is just ready to drown us.  Almost a perfect storm type setup.  But thats being a bit drastic.  May end up needing an ark instead of a sled!

whatalife link said:
I'm hopeful this will not cut....i've been conditioned to fear the NW trend...LOL!

Haha yeah haven't we all. I'm numb to losing systems

That high that comes down into the Plains at hr 90 tries to get ahead of the energy. The low that comes up off the Atlantic at hr 90-96 should not allow that high to drop down ahead of our low. Then those two highs at hr 108 those highs will be pushing down the low to the SE. Btw, I'm looking at the 06z GFS if you want to look to see what I'm saying.

drfranklin link said:
[quote author=Storm5 link=topic=80.msg6874#msg6874 date=1483364445]

hoping for a "board-wide" event - I'm a Birmingham, AL native and want to see a major snow (not ice) event for "north-central Alabama" - I think it's very close
[/quote]

I'm hoping this is one that we can finally reel in. Hopefully temps will be a little colder.

I'll never forget back in 2012 when models had like a foot for the bham metro 2-3 days before and that thing trended so bad, we didn't pick up anything at all. It usually always goes the wrong direction haha.

It actually may have been 2010, but it was still awful.

DadOfJax link said:
Im preparing for tragedy! A perfect look 5 days out is NOT a good thing 99% of the time.
No not necessarily, we've seen this look before on past GFS runs. So, some consistency is there.

I'll be at my hunting club in Arkansas Thurs til Sat noon and the forecast is now calling for a 40% chance of snow showers with 1"-3" accum Friday afternoon thru evening.

Parker link said:
I'll never forget back in 2012 when models had like a foot for the bham metro 2-3 days before and that thing trended so bad, we didn't pick up anything at all. It usually always goes the wrong direction haha.

It actually may have been 2010, but it was still awful.
I remember that quite well here in Birmingham I was already buying bread milk and beer only to see my dreams get crush. I for sure hope we don't have to go through a let down of that magnitude again

NorthGAWinterWx link said:
[quote author=DadOfJax link=topic=80.msg6886#msg6886 date=1483366540]
Im preparing for tragedy! A perfect look 5 days out is NOT a good thing 99% of the time.
No not necessarily, we've seen this look before on past GFS runs. So, some consistency is there.

[/quote]
there is no consistency at all. Hopefully we gain some over the next 48 hours

DadOfJax link said:
your preparation is a smart move

I've been off work for two weeks. Looks like I'll physically be back at work tomorrow but it's clear this will be my 3rd week in a row where nothing gets accomplished

#zeroproduction

Fwiw looking at 12z nam through hr 63...more separation with our s/w up in northwest.  May not phase with pacific ull low this run.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

StoneMtnWx link said:
Fwiw looking at 12z nam through hr 63...more separation with our s/w up in northwest.  May not phase with pacific ull low this run.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

I was gonna post same thing but last time I mentioned the NAM I got grilled LOL.... ;)  but as you say fwiw it does have more separation and looks like it would kick out.  Maybe it's a trend as we head into today's 12z model runs

Back