• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry 01/28-29/2022 Winter Weather Potential

The energy diving down on the back of the trough is a thing of beauty View attachment 110402
I am remembering last storm and how the HRRR and NAM almost every new run almost created a strong piece of energy out of nowhere as we went towards verification. If they did that with the last system what could happen here?

The only tempering and sobering thing about the 18z right now is the NAM can giveth and just as easily taketh away on the next run.
That and be careful what you wish for, you really don't want it to come to much further west and there's really nothing to guarantee it won't. The fine line we walk around here

Cool thing about mega storms like this is that you could be hundreds of miles away from the jackpot and still received a storm that's 100%+ of your yearly climo simply from the blast radius of these things being so large

We can talk all the crap about the NAM we want to but it did pretty good with last week’s system. Not saying it’ll play out the same but it’s something to watch for sure.
I would argue the opposite. The RGEM (all joking aside) was by far the best performing model for last storm. The NAM lost the storm completely 24-48 hours before the storm was suppose to happen. This time frame is suppose to be the NAM's "wheelhouse" I take everything the NAM puts out now with massive mounds of salt. Has no credibility in my eyes going forward other than to observe how its reacting to trends in other models.

We can talk all the crap about the NAM we want to but it did pretty good with last week’s system. Not saying it’ll play out the same but it’s something to watch for sure.
Well to be fair it had some crap runs that were wrong in the lead up but boy when it figured it out, it really figured it out.

The NAM was showing precip not even making it to the coast 48 hours out with last week’s system. What do you mean?

Are we gonna see constant trends up until go time with this system, like that last one that was on a Sunday? Seems like this is a new normal. If it keeps going we may see some snow in alabamur

Yeah I can't stop staring at that map
You want the big dog, that's what it looks like. It's very close to tucking the low into the coast. But it is the long range NAM. That said, I'm expecting a trend back to a big storm. Historic? Meh, that's impossible to call. But I think somebody in the SE up into VA is going to get smoked.

Icon shows rain/snow but that’s likely SN I’m that band, and a good burst of snow in this sort of setup, this is ofc a icon solution and one possibility 8F834588-AA0E-43F8-9A32-B2F5F403570C.png04DA5D2D-65E2-4D37-8FC4-C51BA059DA2C.png

Are we gonna see constant trends up until go time with this system, like that last one that was on a Sunday? Seems like this is a new normal. If it keeps going we may see some snow in alabamur
Never say never but honestly I think any expectations for this to bring alabama snow should be very tampered. I think the best places for this to trend better for them would be western NC and SC

That and be careful what you wish for, you really don't want it to come to much further west and there's really nothing to guarantee it won't. The fine line we walk around here
I get it and we've certainly got it--in the wrong way, but runs like the ICON has just revealed have me thinking -too far west- will not be what we have to contend with

Back