• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry ❄The Christmas Miracle❄(12-24/12-25)

From Spann.

MUCH COLDER THURSDAY: After a windy, wet night, temperatures will fall into the 30s Thursday, and we are forecasting some light snow, light sleet, and the potential for snow showers in the cold air over parts of Alabama, mainly east of I-65 and north of I-20.
The current forecast is for no meaningful accumulation or impact, although grassy areas could become white across the northeast corner of the state, especially across higher terrain.
But, in any winter weather situation it is always best to avoid a deterministic forecast (a forecast that does not include expression of the associated uncertainty). We like to present a range of possibilities, and the attached maps do that. You can see the most likely case (as described above), along with a "boom" and "bust" forecast. These are not expected, but are a possibility.
The "bust" scenario is basically no snow at all. On the other hand, the "boom" forecast is for two inches of snow over the northeast corner of the state, 1 inch around Gadsden, and a quarter of an inch for Birmingham.
I will have a new Weather Xtreme video and discussion posted early tomorrow morning as we have some time to look at new data. One way or another, it will be COLD Thursday and Friday across Alabama!

From Spann.

MUCH COLDER THURSDAY: After a windy, wet night, temperatures will fall into the 30s Thursday, and we are forecasting some light snow, light sleet, and the potential for snow showers in the cold air over parts of Alabama, mainly east of I-65 and north of I-20.
The current forecast is for no meaningful accumulation or impact, although grassy areas could become white across the northeast corner of the state, especially across higher terrain.
But, in any winter weather situation it is always best to avoid a deterministic forecast (a forecast that does not include expression of the associated uncertainty). We like to present a range of possibilities, and the attached maps do that. You can see the most likely case (as described above), along with a "boom" and "bust" forecast. These are not expected, but are a possibility.
The "bust" scenario is basically no snow at all. On the other hand, the "boom" forecast is for two inches of snow over the northeast corner of the state, 1 inch around Gadsden, and a quarter of an inch for Birmingham.
I will have a new Weather Xtreme video and discussion posted early tomorrow morning as we have some time to look at new data. One way or another, it will be COLD Thursday and Friday across Alabama!

Love how he’s laying out the different scenarios here. This is a huge improvement from the old “just tell me what it’s gonna do” days. Spann does a great job of explaining the possibilities and letting the readers make their own assessments.

It’s just so odd the GEFS have been constantly on this would be crazy if something like that actually occurred and it was the only one to see it .... but it will not haha

Gonna be funny if the gefs scores with this storm when people are in doubt. Doesn't matter what weather site shows who's getting what and how much, models are coming around with agreement that lot of us are gonna see Christmas snow showers. So all of you doubting Tom's up in here please don't shattered other "White Christmas dreams"!!

Back