• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Winter Mischief For Upper SE 3/12/18

992mb to 980mb lol wow
7a46b7aaa3cb29f65768579a92c5c60b.jpg

f640a95e6db3e0524dca2f9f68373b82.jpg

487c5d28c54f5f4455274a156aff86ed.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only thing missing is the cold air. 2m above freezing.

ukmet_2mtemp_10Z_03-10-18_72h.gif

Only thing missing is the cold air. 2m above freezing.

View attachment 4412

Many March snows for RDU have 2m’s above freezing. In fact, I think the mean surface temp was around 35 for 1-3” March snowfalls for RDU sample size was 20 events if I recall correctly. Took a look at this back in feb when I was posting composites. Makes sense as surface temps struggle in March in general.

How can precip not be farther back with low placements and strength!?:p

Last edited:
:weenie:Gonna be some snow TV outside the mountains, that’s about it ! The new GFS is so cray!

Omgd give me the 12z gfs I’ll have no issues getting into Maryland seeing as how the gfs is so much slower now

It's crazy how the NW trend just came out of nowhere after trending more suppressed a few days ago up until now. Wow hahaha
Not going to say any names, I just don’t think some mets and weenies understand the limitations in NWP predictability in situations like this with multiple s/w interactions and how minute changes at the synoptic scale can translate into very significant wholesale alterations at the surface just a few days out. Even something as simple as initializing only a modestly more intense s/w can have massive impacts because vorticity growth is non linear. This also means as a wave grows it becomes more efficient at modifying the bgd flow and drawing available potential energy from it which affects the evolution of other waves embedded in the flow (and can the impact of each individual wave on other disturbances be diagnosed with piecewise PV inversion)

Last edited:
The gfs run , just gave DT a pants tightening experience! :weenie:

Not going to say any names, I just don’t think some mets and weenies understand the limitations in NWP predictability in situations like this with multiple s/w interactions and how minute changes at the synoptic scale can translate into very significant wholesale alterations at the surface just a few days out. Even something as simple as initializing only a modestly more intense s/w can have massive impacts because vorticity growth is non linear. This also means as a wave grows it becomes more efficient at modifying the bgd flow and drawing available potential energy from it which affects the evolution of other waves embedded in the flow (and can the impact of each individual wave on other disturbances be diagnosed with piecewise PV inversion)
Very Ciceronian and quite a great post, Webb!

Wow these recent model runs have really got me wondering if accumulating snow is possible here tomorrow night. I bet there's going to be some surprises with this one. Of all my years living here I still haven't got that surprise snow storm. The kind where they are predicting a half inch or maybe one and you end up with 4 or more. It's gotta happen sometime so maybe this is the one. I saw the local news mentioning snow and possibly up to a half an inch in north and northeast Tennessee.

Back