Pattern November Knock-Out

• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!
Greetings from the mountains !!! Look what I found. I bring hope as we roll into a new month
75e666e461c2584ddda7aa1a65abecbc.jpg

Sent from my SM-J320VPP using Tapatalk

Too bad you didn’t bring Costco’s Finest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Torch, warm, cool, cold coming?
These, which are in our Wiki, are always worth at least a look ... model run to model run, member by member ...
http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/ENSTDEP2WIDE_0z/tloop.html
http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/ENSTDEP2WIDE_6z/tloop.html
http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/ENSTDEP2WIDE_12z/tloop.html
http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/ENSTDEP2WIDE_12z/t7loop.html
Not suggesting how anyone else does their thing, but might I suggest that looking at individual members, over time, can depict a trend before the full model catches it ... just offering one Curmudgeon's thoughts ... :confused:

Last edited:
The EPS can't make up it's mind lol now it's colder again thru day 8-9
View attachment 1457

The difference between the 12Z GEFS and the colder 12Z EPS days 9-11 is largely a NW Canadian/Arctic high that the Euro/EPS bring down into the Midwest/Plains (with sub -20C 850s getting to far southern Canada) but which the GFS/GEFS keeps in Canada. Which is right? Any guesses? In between? This is unusual because more often than not the GEFS is colder.

Reactions: accu35
Can't believe folks think we're headed toward a snowy winter .... Lol come on now....

Why can't you believe it? For every winter some folks think we're headed toward snowy and I expect that will never change. Besides folks with snow bias and it being fun for some to predict lots of snow, there's more uncertainty with SE snow than with temperatures since it only takes one big one. Be careful what you say because this kind of post can come back to bite you though I'm assuming you'd be more than happy to be bit in this case!

Why can't you believe it? For every winter some folks think we're headed toward snowy and I expect that will never change. Besides folks with snow bias and it being fun for some to predict lots of snow, there's more uncertainty with SE snow than with temperatures since it only takes one big one. Be careful what you say because this kind of post can come back to bite you though I'm assuming you'd be more than happy to be bit in this case!
That would be one bite that would "Hurt so good" :)

Reactions: GaWx and accu35
Yeah, you never know what the weather in the Southeast can bring. You can be primed for a good snow and get zip or a great year, or you could have a bad outlook and get the same thing. As you said, one good storm can do it. Only things in looking for is a cold Christmas and cooler than last year winter.

Im glad to mention, it only takes one big one. It really does, one big winterstorm would put most if not all southeast above snowfall avg LOL!! One thing about having these early November warmth is when you start getting cold meeting these juiced up low riders lows, than watch out. The gulf being so warm still produces mounts of moisture .

Reactions: GaWx
The difference between the 12Z GEFS and the colder 12Z EPS days 9-11 is largely a NW Canadian/Arctic high that the Euro/EPS bring down into the Midwest/Plains (with sub -20C 850s getting to far southern Canada) but which the GFS/GEFS keeps in Canada. Which is right? Any guesses? In between? This is unusual because more often than not the GEFS is colder.

I honestly do not know for sure for the life of me, I'd side w/ the EPS on a planetary scale because of its higher skill scores and I suspect it may be onto something with a punctuated shortwave eroding the northern edge of this ridge.. It's pretty hard to maintain a circumpolar ridge from the US Rockies to Scandinavia and not have at least one or two decent troughs somewhere in between unlike what the GFS ensemble is currently advertising...
gefs_z500a_nh_41.png

Reactions: Metwannabe and GaWx
Like Webber said, I think with -EQBO which should allow more mjo influence that we have periods of real cold come down and like always, comes down to timing. Also, if niña weakens some, we be OK I think
for everything i have studied n read on this nina... appears peeks in late january...like webber lso said. i like the chances for severe later in the winter for midsouth tn valley region....