Pattern November Knock-Out

• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!
Still early but models are hinting at a nice wedge next week

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Yeah we actually discussed this in our synoptic meteorology class... We have the large-scale pattern for it w/ North Pacific high latitude blocking accompanied by split flow in the southern stream and a cold core trough over southeastern/Atlantic Canada (albeit not as strong as what we observe in the heart of winter)...

Really just about any time we have some legitimate window for wintry weather here in the southeastern US and the North Pacific high latitude blocking is dominating relative to the North Atlantic, look for an overrunning/CAD event...
gfs-ens_z500a_nhem_17.png

Reactions: Webberweather53
Today's the 3-year anniversary of the freak snowstorm that struck the SC midlands courtesy of a very strong cut-off ULL. Dumped about 4-5" of snow @whatalife's place...
View attachment 1466

View attachment 1467
View attachment 1468

View attachment 1469
View attachment 1470
View attachment 1471
I remember that event!
Very windy/warm Halloween evening - then, BAM! dusting of snow here - frigid that morning for youth soccer.
Total surprise as no local forecaster mentioned any wintry weather overnight.

Last edited:
That's one thing to remember, especially outside of the northern parts of the southeast. You can be very warm all winter but it takes just one storm to get to or eclipse average.

Yep 2 winters ago most of the winter was not great at all. Most of January was above normal temp wise except for maybe 5-6 days. But during those 5-6 days most of northern middle Tennessee and the Nashville area in general received anywhere from 6-12 inches of snow. It was Nashville’s and many other middle Tennessee areas biggest snow in over a decade. That one storm made it one of my best winters ever in the 10 years I had lived here. But had we not got the big one it would have been one of the worst. On the Flip side I’ve had a few really cold winters that didn’t produce much snow wise.

I'm starting to wonder if this true warm spell actually ends in about 8 days. It'll still be above, but maybe not way above.

The ensemble mean has generally been cooling (in a stair-step progression) during this period. The control side swipes the upper southeast with a monstrous arctic air mass...
eps_t850a_c_conus_41.png

The ensemble mean has generally been cooling (in a stair-step progression) during this period. The control side swipes the upper southeast with a monstrous arctic air mass...
View attachment 1476
Yeah - I'm archiving runs for a few days to see the progression, and if it suggests anything; so far it does, but until there are a few more days to review, it's all at best speculation from the southern outpost ... :confused:

View attachment 1476
That could provide some monster wedges for western Carolins, if arctic air was to set up in that fashion! There is some pretty impressive arctic air setting up in Western Canada! Whether we ever see any down our way, is the bigger question! I'd say it moderates, Canada warms through Nov/Dec, then we wait/hope / look for more to build by Jan/Feb! :(

Reactions: Webberweather53
View attachment 1476

This will likely happen. I am going to be in Myrtle Beach next weekend and it is one of the few times I would want it to be a little warmer. If I was going to Gatlinburg or somewhere else in the mountains it would torch.

Can't wait for the 80s to return next week! I love November ! :)

VcN1NRX.jpg

Reactions: Snowfan