• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern November Knock-Out

Hmmm
054b93776ea49bb333c8bb61c2470c19.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Hmmm
054b93776ea49bb333c8bb61c2470c19.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
blocking anyone.... see if that holds....

Just your run of the mill 1045 hPa high over southern Quebec and Ontario... Yikes that's nuts for the heart of winter much less early-mid November.
:eek:
View attachment 1498
Remember last year, all through winter we were seeing like 1018 highs when we were about to get a a winter storm and hope it would make it to 1020/1023 in future runs!? A 1045 in a perfect spot, is a great start! Dec 2002 redux!??

The GFS usually does a piss poor job of sniffing out CAD in the short-medium range (due in large part to its overzealous mixing bias), the fact that it's already seeing a bonafide CAD event nearly a week out is a little alarming...
View attachment 1499
Canadian actually does well with regards to temps on possible CAD

It’s been a long time probably 2002 since we had a cad that beefy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remember the temperature dropped from the mid 50s to the mid 20s in a couple of hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Canadian actually does well with regards to temps on possible CAD

Yeah the GFS, like most other NWP has a mixing bias, meaning that it will erode CAD domes too quickly (because the primary mechanism to erode them is thru turbulent mixing)...
The model support is unusually strong that this high is going to be a beast... The Canadian has a 1035 sitting over north-central VA. Ouch
gem_mslpaNorm_eus_25.png

Yeah the GFS, like most other NWP has a mixing bias, meaning that it will erode CAD domes too quickly (because the primary mechanism to erode them is thru turbulent mixing)...
The model support is unusually strong that this high is going to be a beast... The Canadian has a 1035 sitting over north-central VA. Ouch
View attachment 1500
Is there any chance that the models are underdoing the wedge as usual? I fear that if they are, the temps could be a lot colder than predicted.

Has there ever been a significant ice storm, involving a wedge, all the wayinto GA, this early in November? Around the 12th??

Is there any chance that the models are underdoing the wedge as usual? I fear that if they are, the temps could be a lot colder than predicted.

Even if the air mass were to remain as strong as currently forecast, yes there's a lot of room for the wedge to trend stronger & last longer than forecast. Of course, the models in general have actually been deepening this trough over SE Canada and New England in the medium range, thus this airmass may get even colder and consequently, the accompanying arctic high pressure may become more intense as verification nears.

gfs-ens_z500trend_namer_14.png

As I also alluded to earlier, it also is a little worrisome that the coarse spectral global NWP models are already picking up on a very stout CAD event 6-7 days in advance... Even if this general setup holds as is and the incoming cP airmass and high pressure don't intensify at all between now and then, I can imagine those along and NW of I-40/85 in NC and SC could end up having to contend w/ precipitation type issues in some way, shape, or form...

Even if the air mass were to remain as strong as currently forecast, yes there's a lot of room for the wedge to trend stronger & last longer than forecast. Of course, the models in general have actually been deepening this trough over SE Canada and New England in the medium range, thus this airmass may get even colder and consequently, the accompanying arctic high pressure may become more intense as verification nears.

View attachment 1501

As I also alluded to earlier, it also is a little worrisome that the coarse spectral global NWP models are already picking up on a very stout CAD event 6-7 days in advance... Even if this general setup holds as is and the incoming cP airmass and high pressure don't intensify at all between now and then, I can imagine those along and NW of I-40/85 in NC and SC could end up having to contend w/ precipitation type issues in some way, shape, or form...
Hi Eric. Got a question. Are you seeing what everyone else is seeing with potential high latitude blocking developing toward mid -end of November? Is that a legit possibility or is it not worth getting excited about?

I'm on the southern edge of where CAD usually sets up. While I know I won't see anything wintry here in this case, I've found in my case I can often throw out the temp predictions during CAD events. If a CAD event is going to occur I suspect I'll be in the mid to high 50s for it with it being a raw/gray day.

The 12/2002 event was well modeled far out! All I had to go by was TWC 7 day on the local forecast and the event was being shown on there from about Sat/Sun and the event was that Thur/Fri!

I said over a month ago that this would be a winter with plenty of ice/mix storm chances due to cad, but I didn't expect an event to be showing up on the models already. This is still a week away. I'm not too concerned. However, I can't remember a November "7 day model run" with a wedge signature as strong as this one.

Is it possible that the potential HP could be relocated little west of whats being modeled? That would put Alabama at least cooler than whats shown.

I was around three years old during the 2002 storm, from what I could remember and from what my Mom told me we ended losing power early on and had to go to South Carolina.

Anyway, is anyone else staying up for the 00z models?

I was around three years old during the 2002 storm, from what I could remember and from what my Mom told me we ended losing power early on and had to go to South Carolina.

Anyway, is anyone else staying up for the 00z models?

Staying up is no big deal anymore thanks to the time change. :)

Has there ever been a significant ice storm, involving a wedge, all the wayinto GA, this early in November? Around the 12th??

I have some info on this and will get back to you when i have the chance.to find my data.

Back