• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern November Knock-Out

I’ll take a zonal flow and run like I stole something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And if you take the GFS as truth, the next time the ridge comes back it's not even going to mean 80s in the se.

(Of course I won't but still)

After a respite yesterday, the Super Ensemble today is back to the SE cool trend; not as significant as earlier in the week ... We'll see ... but fun watching IMHO ... :confused:

sfc_count_sup814_temp.gif

Well, right now I'm slapping mosquitoes again so it needs to get on in here, lol. But it's worth it because they turned on the technology in my yard last night. Suddenly everything started blazing over night. Everywhere I look in the yard is some amazing color, and some trees have never been so radiant. It's the vines and the scrubs, the big trees and small trees, even the ornamental grasses have all started shouting really loudly. Never seen it do this.... like turning on a light switch to everything at the same time. It seems binging and purging with water and cold stimulated amazing displays. Drought, then 5 inchs from a hurricane, then bone dry and another 5 inches from a hurricane. Then go from summer to wood stove and back to summer, and bingo bring on the acid, lol. Amazing. T

Tony, I think it is due to going from one extreme of a very warm 1st 3 weeks of Oct to the other extreme of a very cool last week of Oct. Consistent lows in the 40s and 30s will always get the colors going soon after an extended warm period. And these sudden transitions often lead to the prettiest fall leaves. Enjoy it!

Anyone else have any current reports about the autumn leaves?

Meanwhile, ever since my last post on Friday, the GFS runs have obviously warmed back up considerably for the SE US to about normal for the days following when the torch ends (still around 11/8) averaged out. However, it is still quite cold in much of the Midwest as well as in much of the NE US a few days later. And at least the torch is still projected to end. Near normal late fall wx is just fine with me. It is fantastic for walking. We're no longer in summer when near normal is uncomfortable. Furthermore, those wanting it cold in W Canada to build up their snowpack
still have that to be happy about. It stays cold there for the next 2 weeks!

Last edited:
Well, right now I'm slapping mosquitoes again so it needs to get on in here, lol. But it's worth it because they turned on the technology in my yard last night. Suddenly everything started blazing over night. Everywhere I look in the yard is some amazing color, and some trees have never been so radiant. It's the vines and the scrubs, the big trees and small trees, even the ornamental grasses have all started shouting really loudly. Never seen it do this.... like turning on a light switch to everything at the same time. It seems binging and purging with water and cold stimulated amazing displays. Drought, then 5 inchs from a hurricane, then bone dry and another 5 inches from a hurricane. Then go from summer to wood stove and back to summer, and bingo bring on the acid, lol. Amazing. T
Whatever you do, avoid the brown stuff, Tony ... LOL ... :eek:

Euro 2 meter minimum temps during this cold air damming event its forecasting next weekend. Starting to get a little too close for comfort in the traditional CAD areas of VA, NC, SC, and GA
ecmwf_t2min_nc_31.png

Tony, I think it is due to going from one extreme of a very warm 1st 3 weeks of Oct to the other extreme of a very cool last week of Oct. Consistent lows in the 40s and 30s will always get the colors going soon after an extended warm period. And these sudden transitions often lead to the prettiest fall leaves. Enjoy it!

Anyone else have any current reports about the autumn leaves?

Meanwhile, ever since my last post on Friday, the GFS runs have obviously warmed back up considerably for the SE US to about normal for the days following when the torch ends (still around 11/8) averaged out. However, it is still quite cold in much of the Midwest as well as in much of the NE US a few days later. And at least the torch is still projected to end. Near normal late fall wx is just fine with me. It is fantastic for walking. We're no longer in summer when near normal is uncomfortable. Furthermore, those wanting it cold in W Canada to build up their snowpack
still have that to be happy about. It stays cold there for the next 2 weeks!
The colors have really started to pop around here! Kickstarted by some cooler nighttime temps! They are delayed by about a week or two, but color is very vivid! I've heard dry weather makes the colors brighter, so my back yard has been very dry the last few months.

Take it then not going do anybody much good ...upper air pattern supports a se ridge to me ... matter time

We could have the best setup in the world and it most likely wouldn’t result in snow for most of us this time of year. I’d much rather have the pattern we are in now then some great setup that would be useless to us until at least a month from now. You’d think it’s mid January and not early November based on some of your posts. :)

Whatever you do, avoid the brown stuff, Tony ... LOL ... :eek:
No visits to the trip tent here, Phil :) But like Larry says I need to enjoy it. The leaves are about ready to let go with one good wind, and rain is coming, and wind behind it, I'm sure. I'll be glad when the acorns stop falling. It's bang, bang, bang all day and night, hitting the roofs, and the black walnuts are a menace there are so many this year. T

As Webb is showing, the 12Z Euro is colder than the 0Z Euro. It suggests that there could be a very nice and early cold rain next Sunday all of the way back to Atlanta thanks to a very nice wedge. That would make a lot of SE CAD area folks happy. :)

There's been a lot of back and forth on the Euro and also the 12Z GFS. So, there's lots of uncertainty to say the least about how cold it will get this weekend as well as to the potential wedged precip event.

Prior to the potential wedged precip event, check out the huge contrasts between the 12Z models for Sat AM lows at RDU. The 12Z CMC, which I usually ignore due to it not being a good model overall, is ridiculously cold ~24 and I think too cold. The 12Z Euro is in the middle at around 31. The 12Z GFS is much warmer at 50!

Anyone want to guess this Saturday's RDU low?

Edit: Tony, the hickory nut falls here at this time of year are loud and probably not roof friendly.

Last edited:
As Webb is showing, the 12Z Euro is colder than the 0Z Euro. It suggests that there could be a very nice and early cold rain next Sunday all of the way back to Atlanta thanks to a very nice wedge. That would make a lot of SE CAD area folks happy. :)

There's been a lot of back and forth on the Euro and also the 12Z GFS. So, there's lots of uncertainty to say the least about how cold it will get this weekend as well as to the potential wedged precip event.

Prior to the potential wedged precip event, check out the huge contrasts between the 12Z models for Sat AM lows at RDU. The 12Z CMC, which I usually ignore due to it not being a good model overall, is ridiculously cold ~24 and I think too cold. The 12Z Euro is in the middle at around 31. The 12Z GFS is much warmer at 50!

Edit: Tony, the hickory nut falls here at this time of year are loud and probably not roof friendly.
38 for RAH Saturday morning!
I'm not that worried about temps for the upcoming week or two, I am hoping the wetter pattern and rain chances hold up!

Well, the EPS number of members w/ <32F next weekend over the CAD regions more than doubled vs the last run, and verbatim, the ensemble is hinting at some freezing rain along/NW of I-40 from Greensboro to Asheville & Hendersonville...
eps_tmin_32_nc_29.png

Well, the EPS number of members w/ <32F next weekend over the CAD regions more than doubled vs the last run, and verbatim, the ensemble is hinting at some freezing rain along/NW of I-40 from Greensboro to Asheville & Hendersonville...
View attachment 1493
That set up looks odd. Asheville does not usually get ZR from a wedge set up. That looks like a typical temp map on a cold day, with highest elevations are coldest . I've seen mid 20s in GSP and Athens , with 50s in AVL. Just saying that doesn't look like a typical wedge.

As I mentioned several days ago on another thread, the classical planetary wave recipe for cold air damming/Miller B events here in the Carolinas usually involves high latitude North Pacific blocking, accompanying split flow, and a deep trough over SE Canada and the Great Lakes and New England... This large-scale configuration in general favors CAD because the large north pacific ridge deposits Siberian air into North America, and the trough over SE Canada and the Lakes becomes attached to this air mass and allows for very prominent area of arctic high pressure to filter down in their wake. Meanwhile, the split flow generated underneath the North Pacific blocking allows for disturbances to get caught into the subtropical jet underneath them and entice general SW flow aloft over the southeastern US and this SW flow is often accompanied by WAA, which (in conflict w/ most pre conceived notions) only "locks in" the CAD by strengthening the low-mid level temperature inversion that prohibits appreciable mixing and inducing clouds over the CAD dome that protects it from solar insolation... Shouldn't be terribly surprising then that NWP is starting to sniff out a CAD threat in the medium range
eps_z500a_5d_nh_33.png

CAD:Miller B z500 NC Winter Storms.gif

That set up looks odd. Asheville does not usually get ZR from a wedge set up. That looks like a typical temp map on a cold day, with highest elevations are coldest . I've seen mid 20s in GSP and Athens , with 50s in AVL. Just saying that doesn't look like a typical wedge.

There's nothing terribly unusual about this at all, it's a pretty normal hybrid in-situ-classical CAD wedge on the Euro & its ensemble suite.
ecmwf_slp_precip_east_29.png

Back