• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Major Hurricane Irma (Part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If this was a snowstorm, I'd be in the sweet spot. I'd be on the western side of the low the entire event.

If this was a snowstorm, I'd be in the sweet spot. I'd be on the western side of the low the entire event.
I fully expect this winter's thermals to look like these
gfs_T850_seus_21.png

I was hoping that Irma would scoot northeast and then usher in much colder air on the backside but apparently not. Looks like next week is going to be HOT !

But NC is on the NE side so you would think heavier rain amounts
I would assume the speed and how far Northeast we are of the actual Center would be part of that but also models usually are awful with tropical system rain totals. Although with Harvey they were halfway right I think that was due to the fact that it just sat there for so long they had no choice but to spit out those totals

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

But NC is on the NE side so you would think heavier rain amounts
You would think so but it's a pretty rapid movement on the gfs and euro. Then you have both models showing a rapid ET with a lot of dry air being ingested on the west and south side and only a single band NE of the center. Conversely it's initially riding a top a wedge airmass which should lead to a lot of stratiform rain ahead of the system. Then as the system moves north NC gets into a move feed from the atlantic and possibly some convective elements. A lot at play on both sides

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

It's still a very intricate set of details and quite a few players on the field that could determine the ultimate track of Irma. I've been on the east of Fl then north toward CHS track for a while but it won't take much to get this farther west or east. The SW atlantic ridge, NE trough, short wave over the Rockies, and the shortwave moving into the midsouth are all moving parts in this equation.

You would think so but it's a pretty rapid movement on the gfs and euro. Then you have both models showing a rapid ET with a lot of dry air being ingested on the west and south side and only a single band NE of the center. Conversely it's initially riding a top a wedge airmass which should lead to a lot of stratiform rain ahead of the system. Then as the system moves north NC gets into a move feed from the atlantic and possibly some convective elements. A lot at play on both sides

I'm also curious how much the wind field will expand as it makes landfall, especially since it will be transitioning to ET system. When Hugo came through Charlotte I barely got a cloud in the sky, zero effects and then Irene a few years ago we were getting strong TS winds with some H gust well before it ever made landfall due to its expading windfield.

I'm also curious how much the wind field will expand as it makes landfall, especially since it will be transitioning to ET system. When Hugo came through Charlotte I barely got a cloud in the sky, zero effects and then Irene a few years ago we were getting strong TS winds with some H gust well before it ever made landfall due to its expading windfield.

Understand the concern - but don't get the cart before the horse - we are still about 3 days before a CONUS hit (if it happens)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back