• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Jarring January

I think you've been spoiled by the unusually active 3 big and widespread storms in just 1.5 months. There have been some entire winters with virtually nothing like any of these 3 storms outside of the mountains, NC, and TN. So, to me it doesn't feel weird at all. If anything, having 3 widespread major storms in just 6 weeks felt weird since it was unusual. KATL had its earliest 2nd 2"+ storm on record back to 1890. We should be thankful for this unusual high level of activity no matter what the rest of this winter has in store.
Too late, Larry, I'm not spoiled, but like Pavlov's dog, I'm now used to winter events on a short cycle, although I've only participated in one...oh, ok I'll count that dusting on roofs for a few minutes as another. I've come to expect a winter storm every few weeks, and that's what I want going forward. No more lonely winters droughts, no more years without a flake, pellet, or ice coating...I want the new winter paradigm in the south. No going back now, Climo must bend to our will!!!

I go with JB when he says "Enjoy the wx as it is the only wx you've got". Just enjoy life, period, as much as possible without letting the wx prevent that. But in regard to sunny, dry, mild 60s-70s days in winter, those are always going to occur in the SE and I must say they feel great for outdoor activities. They don't at all resemble humid 80s+ days of late spring/summer/early fall. Plus the ups and downs make things more interesting to me. Just like day after day of heat and humidity in summer, does anyone think that day after day of cold can get monotonous? This is the SE, where lots of ups and downs happen except during the coldest winters. Even during the very coldest, there are some ups and downs. Anyway, SAV had what may have been their coldest 27 days (12/25/17-1/20/18) since Dec 2000-Jan 2001. I need to doublecheck that but that was my preliminary finding. With that kind of lengthy cold, I'm not going to cry over very comfy 60s-70s. Rather, I'm going to go outside and enjoy them.

On another note for the ones hoping for cold to return for more than a short period to at least some of the E US in Feb, MDA just said that there is a "threat" of cross polar flow into the Midwest starting around 2 weeks from now fwiw. They also cited the MJO moving into phase 7 then, which may set off a decline in the EPO via increased N Pacific ridging.

Edit: I know Phil has been all over the MJO as regards potential return of cold, especially if it comes around weak/inside circle.

Last edited:
I don't doubt it is going to get cold again and we will have more winter storm threats. I like the back and forth and think that is when get the best storms around my area. Of course it isn't going to do anything if we stay warm. But it usually doesnt do much here when we stay cold for a long period, either. It hit 70 six days before last Wednesday's storm. That is the kind of winter that usually produces big ones here.

This exactly. I got nothing but dandruff flakes when we were bone chilling cold and dry as a desert. But Literally it only took a few days after a warm up for a storm to show up and pop us in the chin. We usually get our best snow storms when temps are up and down. Sure we won’t have snow on the ground for over a week if we do get snow but that’s normal for the south. As long as we don’t have any 1-2 week stretches of well above normal I’ll stay optimistic that some of us will see more snow before winters end.

Seriously ? How can anyone not like 65 degrees in the middle of winter ?
I like 65 degrees plenty in April, May, June, July, August, September, October, and November. 65 gets plenty of love. It can give colder numbers a turn for one third of the year. No need for it to be greedy!

No west coast ridging, no cold Canadian HP, no Baja SW, no blocking, everything is, in a word, without spelling it out, a "cluster" ...

To avoid "worry" of cold lovers over each model run, I recommend you make it easy on yourself and just go ahead and accept that it will be mild dominated the better part of two weeks. Then see what happens in about 2 weeks when the MJO comes around. Actually, it doesn't even look all that warm for Phil and myself this week relative to our normal highs of low to mid 60s, partly due to the unseasonable cold nearby Atlantic thanks to the very cold of last 3 weeks. Any onshore flow will keep highs from being overly warm. Also, one or two short chilly spells during this 2 week period have been showing up in the models.

If this is a CF, I can handle it just fine. There are way worse CFs in life like bad health.

Last edited:
To avoid "worry" of cold lovers over each model run, I recommend you make it easy on yourself and just go ahead and accept that it will be mild dominated the better part of two weeks. Then see what happens in about 2 weeks when the MJO comes around. Actually, it doesn't even look all that warm for Phil and myself this week relative to our normal highs of low to mid 60s, partly due to the unseasonable cold nearby Atlantic thanks to the very close of last 3 weeks. Any onshore flow will keep highs from being that warm. Also, one or two short chilly spells during this 2 week period have been showing up in the models.
Larry,
Just in case there is any misunderstanding - No worry here. ;) Seems like getting the obvious out in front is a good way to go, though!
You know how I love cold, but I have no bias ... just comment on what I see, and if I'm wrong, there's about 900 folks here who'll tell me so! And would I love to be wrong on this one ... :cool:
Best!
Phil

PS - You are 1000% correct on our temps, and Wed and Thur don't look bad at all ... :D

Near 70 here with sunny skies and RHs in the 30s. Getting ready to go outside and enjoy this beautiful day with no coat for a change before watching some football.

PV is on the right side of the globe. Let's raise those heights over Alaska and break some more US records
Yeah! Oh my ! All the cold is gone , woe is me! :(. Don't shoot the messenger , just gonna drop this right here! GFS is the best model known to man, tons of cold in Canada, ready to tap, was supposed to be warm until first week of Feb! Say it ain't so! :(

You wanna see a gradient in snowfall look no further than near Minneapolis-St. Paul. You go from virtually nothing to well over 1" of liquid equivalent in the same county on the 3km NAM. Just insane, nightmare forecast for local mets...
View attachment 3375
Looks like Wake County NC! :)

Back