Pattern Jarring January

• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!
I think you've been spoiled by the unusually active 3 big and widespread storms in just 1.5 months. There have been some entire winters with virtually nothing like any of these 3 storms outside of the mountains, NC, and TN. So, to me it doesn't feel weird at all. If anything, having 3 widespread major storms in just 6 weeks felt weird since it was unusual. KATL had its earliest 2nd 2"+ storm on record back to 1890. We should be thankful for this unusual high level of activity no matter what the rest of this winter has in store.
Your right Larry, and my apologies for being selfish like i am, but ive been waiting for a year like this. Me personally, i think February will be a good one:)

It does feel kind of weird but I have to admit a break is nice... I don't even hate the warmup. I went outside on break at work for the first time in awhile tonight and it was just refreshing. Cold all the time gets tiring. I still think theres plenty of winter to come in February.

What's more weird is to have a bunch of threats after the last couple of years when the only thing we were tracking was record warmth and tornadoes..

Reactions: Storm5
NASA says "Zero chance of impact within the next 100 years" so for now our snow totals will just have to be cut by a good ol' fashion warm nose
Of objects they know of, at least. An asteroid was spotted for the very first time this past Christmas Day and then flew by Earth three days later on the 28th between Earth and the Moon.

Well Wild... I m guessing you are double checking the insulation specs for the new house... coldest winter I had was the year I stayed in a 1935 built country house...BRRRR
Yessiree I am and I'm sure I will be saying this is my coldest for years to come. 1935? Wow. Borderline dangerous. Even the dogs are shivering.. Even though.. I would be on here obsessing about a snowstorm. Lol! I will be very surprised if it's not a full on ice event that causes delays though...

Did they not do that before early December? If it pools up, we're headed in the right direction.
Yes. It wasn't nearly this impressive though. It's usually pooled up on one side or the other or concentrated in the middle. This looks more like an arctic zonal flow..if that were possible

If this look is right, US records will be shattered come mid February

Reactions: stormcentral
Missing ingredient to me so far for down the road seems like a +PNA. What I've looked at is neutral or negative.

The NAO doesn't really matter much, but I think that +PNA is needed.

I don't doubt it is going to get cold again and we will have more winter storm threats. I like the back and forth and think that is when get the best storms around my area. Of course it isn't going to do anything if we stay warm. But it usually doesnt do much here when we stay cold for a long period, either. It hit 70 six days before last Wednesday's storm. That is the kind of winter that usually produces big ones here.

Looks like a.severe threat today.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1516558672024.jpg
    FB_IMG_1516558672024.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 29