• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Jarring January

Near 70 here with sunny skies and RHs in the 30s. Getting ready to go outside and enjoy this beautiful day with no coat for a change before watching some football.
Yeah, I was working on my chainsaw in the sun, and had to come out of my jacket, and roll up my sleeves. Funny how nights as low as twelve, and days in the 30's will make 65 seem like 95, lol. I didn't like it...but at least when I go for my walk at night it's cold..and that's when it sleets anyway :)

I have to say it was absolutely stunning in Atlanta today parks were crammed with dogs, people smiling, literally people came out of the woodwork.....Do not worry Winter will be back in force soon enough....

I have to say it was absolutely stunning in Atlanta today parks were crammed with dogs, people smiling, literally people came out of the woodwork.....Do not worry Winter will be back in force soon enough....
Yeh, while sittin/chillin on front porch today, I saw a good dozen cars/trucks go by with windows down going back and forth with folks just enjoying the day... Cabin fever relief!

I may start watching the end of the month time frame for our next potential. The Euro and GFS have been trending a weak low south, and the system has a nice 500Vort feature to it. If we can get it to trend more positive in the east and deeper, then there could be the potential of a system.
gfs_z500_vort_us_28.png

I may start watching the end of the month time frame for our next potential. The Euro and GFS have been trending a weak low south, and the system has a nice 500Vort feature to it. If we can get it to trend more positive in the east and deeper, then there could be the potential of a system.
gfs_z500_vort_us_28.png

*cough* negative *cough*

I like to blend the coldest and snowiest models. I find that extremely effective when trying to lure in new subscribers. It's similar to the Bastardi formula
Just keep saying cold is coming, arcticgeddon, son of arcticgeddon, cold like you've never seen, they will come! Pioneer model FTL

from a met on amwx: Beginning to think there could be more significant and prolonged cold through much of February. Was never on the warm train and thought cold would come back, but the magnitude may end up being quite impressive compared to just run of the mill "cold." "The pattern is clearly primed for a very amped ridge in the NE Pacific to return...with MJO progressing through 8-1-2 in the first half of Feb, what appears to be a robust block developing during week 2 over the N Pac and towards the pole, and potentially a strat PV disturbance during week 2, signs may be pointing to a strong and prolonged cold dump into central and eastern portions of the U.S. and southern Canada. This may not yield much snow outside of clippers and LES except near any transitions from warm to cold and vice versa and any relaxations, but the cold may be notable. We will have to see if the signals for big cold maintain and how long they last into February, though I think if the stars align as appear possible a top 10 cold February is on the table for much of the region. "

Yikes. Better set up a go fund me account for February's utility bills. Could get deep into those pockets image.png

I hit 72 today, but it honestly felt more like a late April/early May day due to the fact of how cold it's been so far this month. I did some historical research this afternoon (using Macon as a guide point) and this current January through the first twenty days averaged the coldest low temperature since 1981. I want to say that it beat out 2010 by around .1 or .2.

Back