Pattern Jarring January

• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!
Spann:

NEXT WEEK: An “Alberta Clipper” will drop in here Tuesday, pulling down even colder air, and potentially bringing a few snow flakes to the state. Traditionally, clippers are starved for moisture and don’t produce much in the way of wintry precipitation. We do note the European global model is a bit aggressive and suggests some chance of accumulating snow over North Alabama, but for now we will discount that solution and just mention a chance of snow flurries Tuesday. We will have plenty of time to watch model trends over the weekend and make adjustments if needed.

Reactions: accu35
Well the good thing about these clippers is you know it's not going to bust with rain when precipitation is coming from the snow side of the 540 line
That's true. Clippers are usually a bust, but when they produce appreciable precip, they're usually a lot of fun...and clean, as you say, in terms of getting snow vs. other slop.

Any chance this energy could close off at the base of the trough? Looked like Euro was close to that, although probably just my optimism imagining it.

Here's the clipper on the NAM, some moisture back out in Texas too.

namconus_ref_frzn_seus_52.png

Clippers stress me out. This thing can go poof in one run. I’d like to see support on the GFS (there’s some on individual ensembles but overall the energy is too far NE), also I don’t believe the snow will be that far west as the 00z Euro snowfall map shows. Tons of questions need to be answered for this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry I’m from Atlanta. What is a clipper??

Those suckers just die in the mountains.

Reactions: dsaur
Sorry I’m from Atlanta. What is a clipper??

Those suckers just die in the mountains.

I remember one - and only one. Circa 1977. We got about 2-3 inches and it was so cold and windy, and the snow so dry, we stayed out and played for about four minutes and then went back inside!