• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry January 8-9, 2018 Ice threat

The euro was dissapointing! How the hell does it supress the low to Miami! Moisture now seems to be the biggest issue now! Uggh! Can't wait for my 60s next week

I figured this thing was in trouble other day moisture. Nam fired 1st warning shot at hr 84 vort map. Closing off and getting squashed sent south to El Sugundo. Chalk another W for the nam. It's stuck to its guns on this. Swear world is turning upside down when Nam is on a roll for accuracy .

Nam takes a closed low out of Texas down to the gulf below mobile and takes 24 hours to do it, and goes from a nice precip shield over Ga and Ala with zr in the corners of those states in the beginning to no cad and no precip to speak of...with a low in the gulf..well away from the cad. Yeah, that seems realistic. This thing is still evolving. It's cad so the models just throw up their little model hands. And a few runs back it was shoving a strong low directly into a strong cad and disappearing the cad, post haste. I wonder what they get on the street for that stuff :)

Does it seem strange to anyone else that the shortwave responsible is traveling almost in a bee line south east almost straight to Cuba. I don't think I've seen this before. Kinda reminds you of Donkey kong? (per the GFS 18z)

The NAM looks crazy 66-74 it moves the H from N.carolina then to mid atlantic and then back into s.carolina does that make any sense haha

Temps don't look to be an issue anymore, but precipitation does. It just dries up and goes poof.
Yes over N AL (not just xtreme E/NE think pretty good shot of some wintry precip in the front end maybe couple hours worth but light and spotty...

Will note the 850mb's came in just a little bit colder thinking IP then ZR to rain probably all in a 3-5 hour window for us anyway

Edit also NAM driest of most the models... If precip gets in here like NWS thinks by late Sunday into Sunday night might get interesting for AL folks

Last edited:
Thru 36 GFS little sharper with the vort at 500mb and maybe a tick faster thus far

And the Manitoba vort pops up.... See if effect the same as NAM

Ok think there is a small window 2-4 hours where we in AL could see a wintry mix...look minor event but looks possible little wintry for AL main areas north central and over into E/NE AL before the WAA kicks I in... Expect little if any travel impacts just some eye candy here folks

Edit seems that HP wants to kinda hang assertions if so bigger impacts... Just gotta watch weak sfc LP to our S cold air in place well everything is on the table how does this play out always interesting when you have a decent setup in place

... Carry on

Last edited:
I just dont think its right to call this one off before it has even begin. All it takes is just a little freezing rain to cause concerns. Even temp.

it looks like our LP links up with that low dropping out of the lakes then the line of moisture runs into a 1034 HP parked in the Carolinas and it splits the 2 pieces of energy back apart keeping the Carolinas almost completely dry. That's not a look you see very often. I believe the GFS showed this before any of the other modes and I thought it was out to lunch. Now every model is showing it

I wouldn't say this would have little travel impact for where this actually occurs given that it's been cold for days now... Just not really understanding what is shunting this down into the gulf.
Look up in Manitoba Canada wave pressing our wave sorry it is a pretty strong LP up there

Edit oh and that HP over NC can't go through it either up and over or go low under it

Back