• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry January 8-9, 2018 Ice threat

These were the 12z Canadian ensembles. There are a few members on here that show this shouldn't be ignored, such as member 02. Scary!

PT_panel_096.gif

CMC seems to have the wedge placement a little off. At least up here it would be expanded a little more west. It does not look like it includes the valleys east of the apps and west o the blue ridge and they are the areas that normally hold the longest.

Local mets here are thinking we may get a little icy Sunday night, but currently don't think it's going to be a huge issue once the warm temps push in.

15758662_G.png

Still just comes down to timing, timing, timing! The cold will be here, IF it gets here before daybreak! Future radar on local news shows it getting to GSP between 5-7 AM. If it's heavy enough, could be pretty bad before it warms up, ground is frozen!

Local mets here are thinking we may get a little icy Sunday night, but currently don't think it's going to be a huge issue once the warm temps push in.

15758662_G.png

That map is laughable at best, looks like a first grader drew it, looks like a blizzard in GA (not), then I love the thin strip of rain approaching the western suburbs of Atl, if anything with a CAD it will be much colder over GA, If anything happens at all,,,

That map is laughable at best, looks like a first grader drew it, looks like a blizzard in GA (not), then I love the thin strip of rain approaching the western suburbs of Atl, if anything with a CAD it will be much colder over GA, If anything happens at all,,,
Yeah the layering they do is pretty bad but I think the blizzard you are talking about in GA isn't snow...that's just the cloud cover. I don't know why they have to get all fancy with the layers and colors either.

For reference over next few days on climo and temps, many of the short range models at 48 hours match up with the NAM/CMC on temps compared to the GFS it's currently the warmest of all models

What exactly is causing our shortwave to be suppressed in the first place? It doesn't seem to be any northern stream influence like the NYD debacle had.

I think the point of this thread was to try to get this ice threat to go away anyway...

But yeah I'm not exactly understanding why this would be suppressed (without looking at the run myself, which I may do in a short period). This is literally coming right at a moderation period. It shouldn't be suppressed.

(I at least would like to see a little rain as I'm tired of it being dry)

CMC supressed! :(
Doesn't make since

Forsyth, start a thread for the late January thaw and maybe it will bust.

Brick I didn't snow hole you. No need to be mad at me
Nah, has to get to there first. We have to be 3 days from a warm-up. I really do hope this storm flops and doesn't do much. There is still support for some front end icing regardless it seems so there is still going to be something.

Nah, has to get to there first. We have to be 3 days from a warm-up. I really do hope this storm flops and doesn't do much. There is still support for some front end icing regardless it seems so there is still going to be something.
I agree, on set ice seems to be likely for some. And that alone fits this thread.

Back