• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry January 8-9, 2018 Ice threat

06Z NAM had ice storm criteria CHA
plotter_1.png
0.05" total is not an ice storm or even a freezing rain advisory by any means. If anything, that just a special weather statement.

0.05" total is not an ice storm or even a freezing rain advisory by any means. If anything, that just a special weather statement.
See Asheville NC New Year's Eve freezing fog event. Shut down entire interstate systems, wasn't even measurable amounts, wrecks everywhere and cars off the road everywhere

Looks like NW Alabama was NAM'd.

But really, I can't emphasize enough, I'd have a different perspective if it hadn't been so cold, but even light freezing precip can be a travel problem while it's still below freezing.

See Asheville NC New Year's Eve freezing fog event. Shut down entire interstate systems, wasn't even measurable amounts, wrecks everywhere and cars off the road everywhere
Yep. Was a crazy event. The mountain on I40 connecting the county here I live in to Asheville was shut down. Was only drizzle or fog but created nightmare travel

Definitely not an ice storm. I'd say it may be a freezing rain advisory or winter weather advisory.
Tw

I would not be surprised if some areas in Al/Ga get more freezing rain than they expect. The only thing that makes me think this might not end up being a decent ice threat is the extremely low dew points. It will be interesting to see if the models trend wetter with tonights 00z runs.

Hrm, wasn't expecting much out of this but he NAM has a nice little area of freezing rain over the area. Will need to watch it a little more closely I guess.

Euro coming in wetter and faster for NC. Basically the western half of the state has precip by 3pm.
TW

Euro coming in wetter and faster for NC. Basically the western half of the state has precip by 3pm.
other board
3 pm Sunday? That would be crazy early!

euro doesn't have anything in NC until 18z tue to 00z wed. its not cold enough verbatim and its very light. maybe a little bit of it could be zr over western NC

That's funny on the maps I saw I swore it was in my timeframe. Lol oops

Back