• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern April Showers

Looking back since OFFICIAL records started in the late 1800s, I found NO snow or sleet officially measured at Augusta in April. At Columbia, I found only trace amounts of snow and/or sleet in the OFFICIAL records back to 1911 and even that hasn't happened at least in 65 years! It does appear there were legit traces there in 1915. Some of the traces were apparently actually hail. So, I'm not sure about 1953 and 1949.

Suffice it to say, if Columbia gets ANY ZR, IP, or SN on 4/7, it would be quite an historical event.

Last edited:
6z GFS keeps the craziness going....
f3faef48b1e1901507e20aff6b50bbca.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Please, for the love of all humanity, no. Doesn't have me with ice but just, no. 35 degree rain is the worst. Considering how this winter (spring as well?) has gone, considering I just told my parents and my dad laughed at it, it may go away.

Looking back since OFFICIAL records started in the late 1800s, I found NO snow or sleet officially measured at Augusta in April. At Columbia, I found only trace amounts of snow and/or sleet in the OFFICIAL records back to 1911 and even that hasn't happened at least in 65 years! It does appear there were legit traces there in 1915. Some of the traces were apparently actually hail. So, I'm not sure about 1953 and 1949.

Suffice it to say, if Columbia gets ANY ZR, IP, or SN on 4/7, it would be quite an historical event.
That would be some joke if Columbia gets hit in April but can't even get in the fun with everyone else back in January.

Just to get a scope of how rare it is but can happen aspect...

April 2nd, 1915 - 10 inches of snow at Raleigh NC (record for April).

April 2nd-5th, 1987 - Record cold in Florida. 48 at Key West was a record by 13 degrees. 31 at Tallahassee. A late-season snowstorm set many snow records from parts of the South to eastern Ohio. NC's state storm record of 60" was set at Newfound Gap. (Tied 5 years later on May 7th-9th, 1992 at Mt. Pisgah). Alabama records set for April: 6" at Birmingham (3rd) and Mobile's first time snow flurries (3rd).

April 5th, 1849 - 3 inches of snow in Columbia SC fell two weeks later than any previous record late freeze.

April 13th, 1857 - Parts of Alabama received a surprise 4-inch dusting of snow in a late season snow and frost in the year that saw April snow in every state in the United States.

April 16th, 1849 - A severe freeze killed cotton from Texas into Georgia. Snow covered the ground at Charleston, SC.

April 25th, 1910 - Snow has been reported only once in Florida in April. However, a few flakes which is officially a trace of snow were observed at Pensacola. This record is more amazing since the snowflakes fell near the end of the month and not the beginning.
Larry can correct me but I believe that April 25, 1910 storm also gave Atlanta 1.5" of snow.

Well that region got hit by the freak Nov 1st snow a few years ago...the way this season has gone ...
I wouldn't even say "that region". It was extremely isolated. Whatalife's area got hit hard but my area of Columbia got a cold rain. The cold air aloft or the colder pocket of air aloft only went over Western areas of the Midlands. But thankfully, it was with in driving distance so I was able to drive over to Lexington and see the rare event.

Last edited:
Larry can correct me but I believe that April 25, 1910 storm also gave Atlanta 1.5" of snow.

This is correct. It also gave ATL its latest 32 on record back to 1879. By the way, not surprisingly the Weather Bureau forecast completely missed the snow as well as the freeze. A low down only to about 40 and a warming trend were predicted. Based on old wx maps, this almost certainly was a bowling ball upper low.

Aww shucks, you mean it’s not going to snow in April, shocking

The good ole' GeorgiaGirl curse from this season works to perfection! I told my parents all about this and my dad said "No way" and it went north! :p

Next season I'll have to see if this curse is still working and keep my mouth shut when something pops up.

The ICON would actually be interesting wrt severe weather, nice warm front draped across north-central NC but it's so much warmer than everything else atm plus it's the ICON and we know its surface temps have been an issue all winter long
icon_T2m_seus_44.png
icon_mslp_pcpn_frzn_seus_43.png

As noted above, the 12Z GFS low's track is way north of the 0Z/6Z GFS N FL crossing with it 200 miles north in C GA with a much stronger low than the very weak 0Z/6Z lows. Hopefully, the Happy Hour GFS will make us happy again. Though I wasn't betting on the 100 year+ hit, I also wouldn't give up on this yet. I'd at least give it a couple more runs.

Back