• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern April Showers

Some portions of central NC (like Roxboro) have seen snow 4 times this year after the first week of March, apparently this winter doesn't care what the calendar says.
March 12 2018 NC Snowmap.png
March 13-14 2018 NC Snowmap.png
March 20-21 2018 NC Snowmap.png
March 24-25 2018 NC Snowmap.png

If it was the GFS I could write it off, but the euro too makes it a bit more concerning. If there is an ice storm then pretty much every flowering tree or tree with leaves at this point is going to have trouble. Snow would work better than ice but either would mean tree damage I would think. I said winter was over not order up another storm for April! Oh well, if all the upper SE cashes in on an April snow or mixed bag I may go up to an A+ just because, unless the weather messes up my trees.

As crazy as several inches of snow sounds in central NC at this time of the year, it can definitely happen, we just haven't seen "that storm" yet in the modern era (and who knows if we ever will). As recently as 1989, a few inches of snow fell in the tidewater and SE coastal areas of NC, and their snowfall climo is pretty atrocious compared to Raleigh and Greensboro...
April 10-11 1989 NC Snowmap.png

As crazy as several inches of snow sounds in central NC at this time of the year, it can definitely happen, we just haven't seen "that storm" yet in the modern era (and who knows if we ever will). As recently as 1989, a few inches of snow fell in the tidewater and SE coastal areas of NC, and their snowfall climo is pretty atrocious compared to Raleigh and Greensboro...
View attachment 4900
It would be weirder for TN as well I would think. Not to mention widespread. Looks like a late classic overrunning event to me but I've never seen one in April. Given how the Euro and GFS look, just a little colder and N GA into upstate SC and AL and maybe even upper MS could cash in.

View attachment 4900

In the late 19th century, during the historic/insane winter of 1898-99, a storm showed up near the end of the 1st week of April and produced 6"+ of snow in Durham, Smithfield, Wake Forest, and Greenville.
April 4-5 1899 NC Snowmap.png

It's not going away. If anything, it is looking more and more like a legit threat here with the Euro showing it, too. It might seem crazy, but this winter and spring have been whacky, so it would not be too far fetched.

Last edited by a moderator:
At first I thought that was just one of the Euro panels and then see it is the control. Wow.

I'm kind of over Winter too but a part of me really wants to see this happen, I mean a rare April snow would be cool plus right now NWS has me at 58 with rain Saturday lol, they may need to tweak that a tad

Snow is better than rain anytime, too.

I'm more concerned about possible damages to farms

Sent from my Z983 using Tapatalk
As I said about the flowers and leaves on trees, that's what I would be most concerned about. The further south you go, the more the risk to crops and trees with ice due to higher surface area than in the middle of winter.

So.....assuming I was going to believe south of I-40 would see any snow in April. "Assuming". What's with the bubble of cold air when up north is way above freezing? It doesn't cut off. Doesn't look like a standard CAD situation, though I see the high over the Carolinas. How'd it get so cold? upload_2018-4-2_9-20-10.png

Back