• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc 2018 Banter & Venting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Winter is done. One good snow here. That's the best we can do now. One good snow or none at all. I am ready for warm and dry. Today's rain is miserable. Maybe we'll have an active severe season.

For someone who got above average seasonal snowfall this winter you sure are negative majority of the time on this site. Been a great great winter for us in Raleigh.

For someone who got above average seasonal snowfall this winter you sure are negative majority of the time on this site. Been a great great winter for us in Raleigh.
One good storm that got us to average. That's average. Nothing more. It's good that we had that one storm. Just saying we can't get more than one good storm anymore.

One good storm that got us to average. That's average. Nothing more. It's good that we had that one storm. Just saying we can't get more than one good storm anymore.
You will get multiple storms eventually and it will happen more then one season. It’s the law of averages. From 2012-2014 I had 3 pretty pathetic winters by the upper souths standards. We just couldn’t get a snow bigger then 1-2 Inches for like 3 years straight. Since 2015 it’s been nonstop snow storms with multiple 4 plus inch events and one 12 inch snow. I most likely will pay eventually by getting some less snowy winters while NC rocks the snow. I’m pretty sure I remember North Carolina getting some big snows while winter over here was not as good. It seems we never do really good snow wise at the same time.

Yeh I've been on my hands and knees begging for just a inch down here in Columbia, SC.

You will get multiple storms eventually and it will happen more then one season. It’s the law of averages. From 2012-2014 I had 3 pretty pathetic winters by the upper souths standards. We just couldn’t get a snow bigger then 1-2 Inches for like 3 years straight. Since 2015 it’s been nonstop snow storms with multiple 4 plus inch events and one 12 inch snow. I most likely will pay eventually by getting some less snowy winters while NC rocks the snow. I’m pretty sure I remember North Carolina getting some big snows while winter over here was not as good. It seems we never do really good snow wise at the same time.

Even if he were to get multiple stoms, he'd be liable to complain about something else. That's been his nature at least on the wx forums for many years. Almost never happy and looking for things to complain about. A very negative personna on the wx forums. He seems to enjoy complaining. Norman Vincent Peale he ain't!

AB752F1B-422F-4F74-B24D-90AB0CBBCB4B.png My yard says, Fab Feb rocked, Muffed up March, not looking better!

52 North ATL suburbs and 76 south, 4th day in a row it has been a wobbly wedge...look at thes pics in ATLANTA, 7 miles apart....
https://app.oxblue.com/open/kdc/statefarmatl Dunwoody
https://app.oxblue.com/open/millcreek/moderabuckhead Buckhead

airT.png

Good point. It’s been a while since we had a big winter where we are 150-200% of climo like 2004. But, we have been fortunate we had 2 solid events this year.

are the free spotter training classes offered by the NWS worth taking?

Look at these webcams again, the Dunwoody location is almost 1/8 mile visibility. while 7 miles away at least 14 mile vis. The mico climates of Atlanta are amazing and I don't really think peeps understand how major they are.

52 North ATL suburbs and 76 south, 4th day in a row it has been a wobbly wedge...look at thes pics in ATLANTA, 7 miles apart....
https://app.oxblue.com/open/kdc/statefarmatl Dunwoody
https://app.oxblue.com/open/millcreek/moderabuckhead Buckhead

airT.png

Look at these webcams again, the Dunwoody location is almost 1/8 mile visibility. while 7 miles away at least 14 mile vis. The mico climates of Atlanta are amazing and I don't really think peeps understand how major they are.
It's crazy. North Atlanta is in the low 60s while downtown is around 76. Here, it's around 56.

I kind of got really lucky this winter, a lot like 10/11, 13/14, and 14/15 (for different reasons each time). I didn't get to see a snow in progress but it just happened to be that we were planning on going to my family's Christmas dinner in LaFayette, GA and it was the day after 12/8/17 that we were going to be on I-75 taking a cruise through most of NW GA...right through the area that was just crushed with snow. It wasn't on a whim that we went, it was planned and the storm happened. Funny thing is I called it in November. It felt like a winter that might see snow in December in the northern part of the state and perhaps I see snow through that and wouldn't you know it, it happened.

So this winter gets a B- from me. If I didn't have Lady Luck on my side and the coastal storm didn't happen (because it was cool to see), it'd be much more of a C, and I didn't see accumulating snow at home at all (with the NC special I had a good stretch of moderate, and for a few minutes bordering on heavy snow but no dice on accumulation due to temps). Expectations have to be realistic in the southeast.

What people need to realize is unless you're in the places like North TN, parts of NC like in the northern part and middle west, your snow average is not a realistic gauge because most likely, it's come through a mixture of big dog storm years and years in which you've blanked out instead of just a little every winter. This winter was a lot like 10/11 and 13/14 in my opinion winter storm wise, with one difference that sucks, there was two huge holes in the southeast, one from the eastern suburbs of Atlanta through to the SC/NC border, and the other from north central Mississippi into the TN valley.

Preferences are different for everyone, but mine would be the big dogs over just a little every season. I do plan to go back to North Georgia sometime in the future to live permanently, but it has more than the weather to do with why.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back