• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Winter Whamby 2020, a New Decade

Status
Not open for further replies.
1” of snow in that storm would be pretty depressing while the foothills get plastered with 12-24” of concrete, though. :(

was depressing for me I remember, I was living here in Tupelo and they were calling 6-8 inches for here, we were on the very outer band and it snowed light but steady all day, just steady snow but would not stick cause it was just light enough to not accumulate, finally started to that night as it ended, got about inch and a half. What made it so hard is they were calling for 6-8 inches and just 30-40 miles to my southeast it rapidly went up to 8-9 inches and my brother in Birmingham got to brag about his 18 inches of snow. I was 12 so I couldn’t go and drive over to see it and my parents wouldn’t take me. I just wanted to see it so bad and I was so close. Remember watching the weather channel that night just watching it pull away.

I see a lot of people lowering their snow standards and I must say I’m disappointed. I need 4”+ at some point this winter. I’m owed. No more 2” snows with visible water puddles and grass poking through. I’m honestly sick of the nickel and dime bs

c4984dd4e3c391f182b664a11a033f71.jpg

Does this look familiar to this year? NOT EVEN CLOSE. JB is awful. Just making up sh*t now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MJO in Ph 8 in early January that year and it was approaching 70 here in Tennessee. That winter was the least snowy in my lifetime until late February. We only had a couple of days with flakes in the air until 4 inches fell February 25th, then cashed in with 28 inches during the blizzard.

But it goes to show you that even when the MJO goes from 7-2 it doesn't mean it's going to be cold/wintry here. I suspect 4-5 are always warm though.

I see a lot of people lowering their snow standards and I must say I’m disappointed. I need 4”+ at some point this winter. I’m owed. No more 2” snows with visible water puddles and grass poking through. I’m honestly sick of the nickel and dime bs
You've received so many nickel and dime events your sick of them?? When did this happen?

For us in the Atlanta area....we just need to wait until February 12th:(

View attachment 29561
Judging by the high temp of the day and the snowflake is on the right side, it's just cold chasing moisture....sorry to burst your 30 day bubble Lol

Last edited:
We got an inch. It sucked. Next.

It got amazingly cold after the front came through on that Sunday morning. The rain that had fallen flash froze and there was a changeover to light snow before it ended. I remember that well. I was on duty (ready to clock out at 8am) when we had a call for a roll over with entrapment. We had just cleared from another call when it came in and we were about three miles from the scene. We got there and the car was upside down in about 8 feet of water. The woman was in an air bubble at the back window trying to get out of the car. Me and my partner took our shoes and coats off and dove into the water to try and get her out. We were beating on the windows and kicking windows trying our hardest and couldn’t get the glass to break as the car sank down. Nothing we could do. Engine 14 got on scene and we got a halligan and broke the glass and pulled her out. Worked the code on scene as two more crews showed up. One crew took over the code and the other crew worked on us as we had gotten hypothermic. Unfortunately she didn’t make it. I think about that call every winter or when road conditions get icy. 27 years later and it’s one of four calls I responded on that still haunt me. I was a new Paramedic at the time. Now I’m retired and still wake up with nightmares occasionally.

Sorry to bring everyone down. I just don’t look at the Superstorm of 93 all that fondly.

It got amazingly cold after the front came through on that Sunday morning. The rain that had fallen flash froze and there was a changeover to light snow before it ended. I remember that well. I was on duty (ready to clock out at 8am) when we had a call for a roll over with entrapment. We had just cleared from another call when it came in and we were about three miles from the scene. We got there and the car was upside down in about 8 feet of water. The woman was in an air bubble at the back window trying to get out of the car. Me and my partner took our shoes and coats off and dove into the water to try and get her out. We were beating on the windows and kicking windows trying our hardest and couldn’t get the glass to break as the car sank down. Nothing we could do. Engine 14 got on scene and we got a halligan and broke the glass and pulled her out. Worked the code on scene as two more crews showed up. One crew took over the code and the other crew worked on us as we had gotten hypothermic. Unfortunately she didn’t make it. I think about that call every winter or when road conditions get icy. 27 years later and it’s one of four calls I responded on that still haunt me. I was a new Paramedic at the time. Now I’m retired and still wake up with nightmares occasionally.

Sorry to bring everyone down. I just don’t look at the Superstorm of 93 all that fondly.
Man that is so sad. I am really sorry to hear that. I know you did everything you could, but that is still probably not much consolation. At least you have given many others a second chance throughout your career. First responders don't have the power to work miracles, but they are heroes.

It’s kind of hard to ignore the possibility that the MJO may attenuate or collapse altogether once it reaches the WP given the cold water that’s showing up there now. Modoki ninos like the one trying to develop now usually lead to enhanced MJO activity in the Maritime Continent and suppression in the WP with enhancement again in the WHEM. The +IOD starts to become our best friend near the end of winter as seasonal shifts in the monsoon circulation completely reverse the downstream response over N America.
Thus W Indian Ocean convection in Feb-Mar starts to become our best friend and favors cold here unlike in Dec when it’s usually enticing warmth.

View attachment 29563
When you say feb-mar I start to think about punting winter and moving on entirely if that's how long its' going to take.

When you say feb-mar I start to think about punting winter and moving on entirely if that's how long its' going to take.
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say from an overall sustained favorable pattern, probably so, but just as shane has been pointing out, I think there are other ways to possibly escape this ugly pattern. I'm not punting completely as there is still plenty of time and could be some "fly in the ointment" not seen yet that could sneak something in. Call me crazy or over optimistic...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back