• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Winter Whamby 2020, a New Decade

Status
Not open for further replies.
This rain caught me off guard. Sigh, when I looked at the NWS forecast, I thought there'd be sprinkles at most today. The new rain event was much faster than forecast.

This rain caught me off guard. Sigh, when I looked at the NWS forecast, I thought there'd be sprinkles at most today. The new rain event was much faster than forecast.
Gotta check that radar, yo!

I hear people saying the PV could split at the end of Jan but how long would it take for the deep south to feel the impacts ? Climo goes dramatically downhill after Feb 15 in the deep south so a PV split at the end of January is cutting it kind of close isnt it ?

I hear people saying the PV could split at the end of Jan but how long would it take for the deep south to feel the impacts ? Climo goes dramatically downhill after Feb 15 in the deep south so a PV split at the end of January is cutting it kind of close isnt it ?
I’ll say it so someone else doesn’t have to; Some of our best snows happen in March

@Webberweather53 (I think) posted some stuff recently that indicated it could be pretty quick, if it was due to a tropical influence, rather than some kind of Wave 1 thing. I could be screwing up the terminology, but I think I have the idea correct.

The one thing to keep in mind is that we will have a lot of cold air in close proximity available to tap, as opposed to other times when we've had to wait, after the pattern has become more favorable, for the source region to be seeded with cold air. What this means is what it probably sounds like: When the pattern becomes able to tap what's up there in Canada and bring it down here, winter should get here fairly quickly.

I’ll say it so someone else doesn’t have to; Some of our best snows happen in March

The last real snow here and one of the best snowstorms of my life was here on March 4th 2015 lol

Not that I'm expecting a repeat but all the snow that winter was after February 20th and that was the 4th storm in a series and also the biggest by a mile

Just pouring rain, forecast busted today Mets. Had to be 6 stories up on a roof watching a emergency roof replacement today. Let’s just say it’s a cold rain and my rain coat isn’t rain proof like it was a few years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How do y'all mentally prepare for the Bleaklies each Mon and Thu? Any advice to your fellow members?

On a related note, I wish today's Bleaklies were based on 12Z instead of 0Z because the end of 12Z EPS looked significantly better than 0Z's end in the NE Pacific. So, if they turn out to have their typical bleakness, take solace in the fact that it was based on a worse EPS run than the latest. For those who don't know, tossing a run of the Bleaklies is an option is now officially offered by this BB! The powers here had to get the approval of the suits at ECMWF because tossing a King run was not something normally done for obvious reasons. So, "we toss" no longer applies only to the 18Z GFS/GEFS!

How do y'all mentally prepare for the Bleaklies each Mon and Thu? Any advice to your fellow members?

On a related note, I wish today's Bleaklies were based on 12Z instead of 0Z because the end of 12Z EPS looked significantly better than 0Z's end in the NE Pacific. So, if they turn out to have their typical bleakness, take solace in the fact that it was based on a worse EPS run than the latest. For those who don't know, tossing a run of the Bleaklies is an option is now officially offered by this BB! The powers here had to get the approval of the suits at ECMWF because tossing a King run was not something normally done for obvious reasons. So, "we toss" no longer applies only to the 18Z GFS/GEFS!

I don’t pay too much attention to them anymore. Anything 10+ days out is always wrong. Heck we can’t even get the 24hr forecast right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yea and had bout 5 inches from a ULL on Nov 1st a few years ago. (earliest snowfall on record).maybe someone else can remember what year that one was. maybe 2016?

That was 2014 (November 1st). Only a dusting to an half inch in my backyard. But folks about 15-20 miles southwest of me lucked out with anywhere between 2"-4".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back