• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Winter Whamby 2020, a New Decade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Judah Cohen threw in the towel.. I'm done too. :)

Judah has to be going crazy looking at the strong strat PV.

These guys are very smart and had a thread on NA weather extremes....not SSWE's as Cohen believes.

We need some good news, I’m starting to get depressed. It’s been the longest non winter winter ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Our only hope is that the ridge slides north into Alaska, but at this point, I'm punting all but the last week of January other than the maybe flurries in a few days

We need some good news, I’m starting to get depressed. It’s been the longest non winter winter ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree...good news has been difficult to come by the past few days. Only good news I can think of is we still have 8-10 weeks of winter left...time we can actually see a moderate snow/ice event. That's a long time.

Judah has to be going crazy looking at the strong strat PV.

These guys are very smart and had a thread on NA weather extremes....not SSWE's as Cohen believes.

Tune in next year for the next revelation or new index that results in a paradigm shift as regards forecasting. And then the following year, look for still another paradigm shift. I figured @Rain Cold would appreciate this.

I'm not even sure analogs before 2010 are very good anymore. Either way, you're left with a very low sample size to choose from, which ends up skewing your result set.
IMO it was a small sample size anyway... do we have analogs from 1700's winters or 1600's, 1500's, etc. I know I'm a simple minded wannabe but when you factor in that analogs can only be used for times that record were kept, isn't that relatively a small amount of time and a small sample size?

IMO it was a small sample size anyway... do we have analogs from 1700's winters or 1600's, 1500's, etc. I know I'm a simple minded wannabe but when you factor in that analogs can only be used for times that record were kept, isn't that relatively a small amount of time and a small sample size?

I think this is why you see so much blending and massaging going on. My opinion is that they can provide a very rough guide, most of the time. But there are so many factors that play along with or against each other. And our understanding of all of the drivers and their interactions is still very elementary. Plus, we probably don't have anywhere close to a complete list of things that impact the pattern. Way down the line somewhere, we will look back at this period and laugh at how bad we were at forecasting and about all the things we didn't know.

I think this is why you see so much blending and massaging going on. My opinion is that they can provide a very rough guide, most of the time. But there are so many factors that play along with or against each other. And our understanding of all of the drivers and their interactions is still very elementary. Plus, we probably don't have anywhere close to a complete list of things that impact the pattern. Way down the line somewhere, we will look back at this period and laugh at how bad we were at forecasting and about all the things we didn't know.
Agreed, an analog could match up almost perfectly on paper and produce very different results because of some undiscovered small caveat that has huge implications.

This season reminds me of the old axiom “You can put lipstick on a pig but it’s still a pig.”

In the same way, there’s just seemingly no remedy in sight that can remove the swine stench from this cool season.

Agreed, an analog could match up almost perfectly on paper and produce very different results because of some undiscovered small caveat that has huge implications.

if there's anything I've learned these last few non-winters around here it's totally this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back