• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Winter Whamby 2020, a New Decade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really hoping for somewhere along the lines of 6” here, hoping the deformation band forms on an angle over the 85 corridor like it has in the past.
I honestly think we won't see more than 3-4 inches at most, and that is the best case scenario.

alright shawn i wanna know what you really think is gonna happen here.

It's not a climo setup for us. I think a band of precip will come through ending at light rain/sn or even snow at this point. depends on saturation in the snow growth region, etc.

i wanna see more of this shortrange modeling and soundings to have a better idea. i havent been looking at globals at all, for this area, tbh.

It's not a climo setup for us. I think a band of precip will come through ending at light rain/sn or even snow at this point. depends on saturation in the snow growth region, etc.

i wanna see more of this shortrange modeling and soundings to have a better idea. i havent been looking at globals at all, for this area, tbh.
ok thanks! i always appreciate your input.

All it takes is the warm nose to not show up to the show or show up weak for everything to change. Fingers crossed we see a good storm, but I won't hold my breath. IF it occurs, at least FFC is ahead of the game by watching it.

That's how I feel. Don't see this as 'our' storm, but if we get something out of it, that would be icing on a cake. If we don't oh well...won't be mad or bitter.

You think I have a chance in Huntsville Thursday morning to see some light snow?

I'll intercept, I think yes but, and I do know it's a longer drive, I think you'd probably be in even better shape driving further and going into North Georgia. I think you're probably not far from I-59 if I remember your location correctly as you have had it before, if it were me, I'd simply get on I-59 and drive into Northwest GA, then get off I-59 and head east some. Not exactly sure where I'd stop, but one guess would be maybe Blue Ridge, GA (to not take it too far). If you were to choose to do this, lol, any more that you can get will need to be looked at in a map. I know Northwest GA fairly well, but not sooooo well I can give a lot.

If that's too far, while I do think all of far North AL might see snow, I still think far NE AL is probably your best bet. That would be the same thing of find I-59 and just drive until you don't feel like it anymore (with that hopefully landing you in NE AL). Although that does include a small issue, NE AL is pretty to me when I've been there, but there's almost nothing there until you get to the Chattanooga metro, if you were to need some accommodations.

Edit: Just looked at the NAM, if that case were to be true, that firms up what I think. Areas west of the Carolinas that are in the best shape might include far NE AL.

Last edited:
That's how I feel. Don't see this as 'our' storm, but if we get something out of it, that would be icing on a cake. If we don't oh well...won't be mad or bitter.
With the amount of moisture with this system, assuming it's colder aloft or the rates are higher earlier, then I think easily N GA could get something. It might not be as crazy as NC, but I might go as far to say as it could be more than just an inch or two. We need things to cooperate, but I think it's possible. Not a high one, but it's there.
soclose.png

I'll intercept, I think yes but, and I do know it's a longer drive, I think you'd probably be in even better shape driving further and going into North Georgia. I think you're probably not far from I-59 if I remember your location correctly as you have had it before, if it were me, I'd simply get on I-59 and drive into Northwest GA, then get off I-59 and head east some. Not exactly sure where I'd stop, but one guess would be maybe Blue Ridge, GA (to not take it too far). If you were to choose to do this, lol, any more that you can get will need to be looked at in a map. I know Northwest GA fairly well, but not sooooo well I can give a lot.

If that's too far, while I do think all of far North AL might see snow, I still think far NE AL is probably your best bet. That would be the same thing of find I-59 and just drive until you don't feel like it anymore (with that hopefully landing you in NE AL). Although that does include a small issue, NE AL is pretty to me when I've been there, but there's almost nothing there until you get to the Chattanooga metro, if you were to need some accomodations.
If I were driving, I'd head to Suches and think about the west side of the Richard Russell ... but then, I'm not driving (except to the office) ...

Nice to see the EPS & ECMWF finally pulled their heads partially out of the sand and decided to join us. Big win for the "outlier" GFS/NAM camp.

Here is the thing that gets me. If all the other models were not showing a big storm, and the Euro was, I think all the local mets would go with the others. But this time you have the NAM showing one, all the others except the Euro was following the NAM, but because the Euro didn't have anything, they go with the Euro. To me it makes more sense to go with the models that have the most consensus, not just the one that shows the smallest impact just because it shows the smallest impact. And it seems like they all ignored what you said about the NAM being better since this summer with precip amounts. They just went with the Euro because it is the one showing the least impact, even if it was all alone.

I personally think the heaviest axis of snow is probably gonna be centered around or just east of the US 401 corridor from Raleigh to Roanoke Rapids to Williamsburg or thereabout.

Shaping up to be a @metwannabe special imo
When Webb mentions your location, it's better than Cantore showing up....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back