• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Winter Whamby 2020, a New Decade

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m throwing in the model towel

All the models have sucked in some respect this winter

I’ll just look out the damn window for the next four weeks and see what I get

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to the team. We have plenty of seats available.

1. There’s nothing imo wrong with beating a dead horse when the dead horse keeps fooling so many people. Plus there’s always new people to weather and to this forums who need to be educated. This cold bias cannot be overemphasized imo.

2. He does sound mad, but I think he has been mostly right since he switched several weeks ago to going warmer than models and poopooing cold after earlier going for a cold winter. He’s been wishy washy at times from one day to the next when models changed drastically, but for the most part he has been on the warm train and correct. I’d prefer someone like him over someone like a very stubborn JB with cold colored glasses and who practically never mentions the cold bias of any model.
The thing is, nobody who is capable of objective thinking and basic learning is legitimately fooled by the GFS cold bias at this point, on this board, at least. If they are, then they're not going to be able to be helped.

As far as BAM goes, they've pretty much ruined their credibility. All in on cold that didn't come. Late on the torch. Then all in on torching that turned pretty seasonal. Then all in on canceling winter. Who, if expecting to be taken as a serious forecaster, should go all in on things that should require careful consideration and and acknowledgement of the uncertainty inherent in long range forecasting, in particular? They may not be as aggravating as JB, but they still have a long way to go to prove any ability at serious LR forecasting.

EDIT: And being late to the party and being really loud about an idea that many were already in agreement around doesn't make them some sort of weather hero...just because they want to go GFS bashing now. I'm not saying you're saying they're a weather hero. But they're really just not all that noteworthy, IMO.

The thing is, nobody who is capable of objective thinking and basic learning is legitimately fooled by the GFS cold bias at this point, on this board, at least. If they are, then they're not going to be able to be helped.

As far as BAM goes, they've pretty much ruined their credibility. All in on cold that didn't come. Late on the torch. Then all in on torching that turned pretty seasonal. Then all in on canceling winter. Who, if expecting to be taken as a serious forecaster, should go all in on things that should require careful consideration and and acknowledgement of the uncertainty inherent in long range forecasting, in particular? They may not be as aggravating as JB, but they still have a long way to go to prove any ability at forecasting.

I think you made some good points here, but I still stand by my post, too. I think that part of the reason there’s been so much criticism of BAM in recent weeks is that so many don’t like to hear about warmth over and over because they want it cold. If the majority instead loved warmth instead of loving cold, I think there’d have been a lot less criticism of BAM.

Well look at that poop. Even when I move farther north. Haha got to love it!
e1b41268971485dd9be3c66eb855457e.jpg

I hope Pivotal doesn't go full paywall. I actually don't even need the good version of the UKMET, just need the Euro, but I'd understand if it goes behind a paywall in the future, and might think about paying (but I do also have a free source for the Euro if I want to see something).

While we're beating dead horses, I just want to point out that the modeling has coalesced around a surface low/trough over the Great Lakes this weekend while our southern stream low takes a relatively ideal track off the Carolina Coast--but the end result is a lack of cold air across the SE. No doubt, the low/surface trough over the Great Lakes contributed to this scenario. If we had a surface high instead, perhaps the results would be different.

So while the GL low is not the only culprit, we can say that here is an example of the GL low hindering our cause.

I think he finally cracked boys....
Haha I deleted the post because I was having second thoughts about it. No I'm not on drugs...smh...it was simply a dream I had. But, it would be interesting that the dream became a reality...

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back