• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Winter Whamby 2020, a New Decade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Help me understand something because you guys and gals (all of you) know more than me here. Day 10-15 cold and stormy, toss it because it’s fantasy land. Day 10-15 heat dome book it as gospel truth. I know we have been literally burned lately but it just seems inconsistent to me unless we are just being cynical.

This is a good question. I think the answer is two-fold. First, the longer ranges models that most of us can access without having to pay (GFS, GEFS, GEPS) very frequently show below to much below average temps at range during most winters. This is a pretty well documented bias. Therefore, it's wise to incorporate that bias into one's expectations. The EPS isn't as bad in this regard, but most of us don't have access to it unless someone posts it for us.

Secondly, for whatever reason, the majority of winters of late just want to be warm. Maybe there's some cynicism mixed in, but the fact of the matter is, it's easier to be warm of late than cold. Given that, a model showing cold, while nice to enjoy, just given persistence (and bias as noted above) seems less likely to be right than one that is showing warm. That doesn't mean it always works out that way, but when you experience something like this over and over and over, you sort of develop the model that cried wolf mindset.

One day, hopefully, this will change. But until it does, it's probably wise to be skeptical of longer range cold patterns showing up.

This is a good question. I think the answer is two-fold. First, the longer ranges models that most of us can access without having to pay (GFS, GEFS, GEPS) very frequently show below to much below average temps at range during most winters. This is a pretty well documented bias. Therefore, it's wise to incorporate that bias into one's expectations. The EPS isn't as bad in this regard, but most of us don't have access to it unless someone posts it for us.

Secondly, for whatever reason, the majority of winters of late just want to be warm. Maybe there's some cynicism mixed in, but the fact of the matter is, it's easier to be warm of late than cold. Given that, a model showing cold, while nice to enjoy, just given persistence (and bias as noted above) seems less likely to be right than one that is showing warm. That doesn't mean it always works out that way, but when you experience something like this over and over and over, you sort of develop the model that cried wolf mindset.

One day, hopefully, this will change. But until it does, it's probably wise to be skeptical of longer range cold patterns showing up.
Dropping some serious knowledge on a Friday morning. Thanks for the thoughtful response and education

It's amazing that models nail an awful pattern 15 days out but let a cold pattern show in the long range it always fails. Theres forces unknown the last few years to keep a cold west warm east. It just doesn't make sense.

Personally I think the NAO is to blame. We simply can't lock in a trough in the east and it have staying power without it. Even a -EPO is usually transient like 13-14 where it still averaged AN.

Most say the NAO isn't predictable beyond two weeks and constantly changes. No way you can convince me that almost 10 years without it in winter is just a coincidence and bad luck. There is something causing it and anyone who can find it out has just cracked the code on why we've been in such a disaster pattern for years now.

I'm hoping that the switch will flip soon, and when it does, we will flip to a warm West and a cold East for several years in a row.

For the first time in a long time I have nothing to add. The models sort of speak for themselves. I am looking forward to some 20’s and pit fires next week. I’ve also started model watching for Banner Elk. If a decent 4-6” event slides through on the weekend sometime this month I’m loading the family up in the old Chevrolet and hitting the road for a couple days.

The Avenger today.
The cold comes next week, backs off for a while then comes back February into March! #CFS aka Feb 2015!

#lol

Actually watched it today too...he sounds like he's been taking a beating. But, he definitely is hedging...MJO problems. I just wish one year he would forecast a blow torch for the east. He was so close this year to going warm but then caved.

For the first time in a long time I have nothing to add. The models sort of speak for themselves. I am looking forward to some 20’s and pit fires next week. I’ve also started model watching for Banner Elk. If a decent 4-6” event slides through on the weekend sometime this month I’m loading the family up in the old Chevrolet and hitting the road for a couple days.

Same here, Jimmy. I’ve already decided I will load up the truck and get a cabin in gatlinburg if I can time a weekend storm. That has been a tradition for us every now and then but I can’t even find a storm for the mountains. I am sure they will get a chance in February and hopefully we can make a trip.

Welp, @Rain Cold , your epic GFS 384 hour holy grail pattern has vanished and turned to this. Man I was really rooting for you. Cold bottled at the pole is good, right? If you squint you can see a shade of green inching towards the pole in Russia. A couple theousand more miles and we may be able to pop a -AO. Something to watchFEA47D8B-9B0F-4FD7-9730-FA7B5FCA7644.png

Same here, Jimmy. I’ve already decided I will load up the truck and get a cabin in gatlinburg if I can time a weekend storm. That has been a tradition for us every now and then but I can’t even find a storm for the mountains. I am sure they will get a chance in February and hopefully we can make a trip.
I love Gatlinburg! They might have a shot later next month but I would look higher. Much higher. High elevations up around Boone can score in a crappy pattern. And if that doesn’t seem possible later in Feb, SnowShoe WV it is!

Welp, @Rain Cold , your epic GFS 384 hour holy grail pattern has vanished and turned to this. Man I was really rooting for you. Cold bottled at the pole is good, right? If you squint you can see a shade of green inching towards the pole in Russia. A couple theousand more miles and we may be able to pop a -AO. Something to watchView attachment 31299
NYET!

Yeah, the vortex is way to tight. No AO, no NAO, no EPO, no nothing to break it apart and displace it south.

This is why blocking and/or ridging out west is so important for us. Can it snow without blocking? Yes. But blocking displaces the PV or part of it southward enough so that cold air is available to us. Those little ripples/waves in the flow up there are just going to circle around that light blue area, with high pressure riding along in their wake. But they're way up there.

You look at some of these EPS maps and see all that blue stuff over the southern US, and it looks all nice. But it's just representative of lower heights, largely induced by the STJ. It doesn't snow just because the maps show a blue area through your backyard. It doesn't snow just because there's red in Canada. It doesn't snow just because a storm tracks south of you. We need a mechanism to allow that cold way up there to funnel down. Clearly, that image won't get it done.

But it's not over. Disaster hasn't run the board yet. We still have the IWishItWouldSnow category left, that includes a daily double.

February is our best climo month -- for $200
El Ninos favor blocking late in the winter -- for $400
The CFS is cold -- for $600
So is the JMA -- for $800
BAMwx has thrown in the towel -- for $1000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back