• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Winter Weather Support Group

I take that back about the NE weenies. They can complain in the last 4 years. They have some work to do to if they're going to match the 2010s. As for those in the SE east of the mtns @Heelyes got a big snow in Jan 2022 so its all good. There is no snow drought.
View attachment 139051
OMG we are below average from Halloween 19 until now?

OMG we are below average from Halloween 19 until now?
I don't know about that them. Not even really sure about Atlanta. GSP, CLT up to RDU have had a hard time lately.
Well that kind of goes with my statement of the 85 corridor having a rough time LATELY! This was nothing more than stating we're in a snow drought and snow has been less frequent LATELY. Completely different argument from the last time you wasted my time arguing with you. Merry Christmas!!!

There were four 10 plus inch snow events(2011, 2014, 2015, 2017) one historic white Christmas, snow then subzero temps(2014), major snow in south AL(2010) in that period off the top of my head.

I was gonna say the best storm for my parents in Alabama since 93 was 2017 after I moved but I was there for 2010/11 and 2014 too and all three were top end storms for what I had seen since 93... It was a lot better than some years I remember as a kid when it would never snow at all or it was like a dusting at most

They are an hour and a half southwest of Atlanta so not exactly the mountains either

Last edited:
Don't stay up late, kids. Santa's coming.

And when that fat piece if crap slides down my chimney tonight, I'm gonna stomp a mudhole in him, walk it dry, give him a Stone Cold stunner, and finish him 1, 2, 3! And that's the bottom line cause Stone Cold said so!

Don't stay up late, kids. Santa's coming.

And when that fat piece if crap slides down my chimney tonight, I'm gonna stomp a mudhole in him, walk it dry, give him a Stone Cold stunner, and finish him 1, 2, 3! And that's the bottom line cause Stone Cold said so!
Merry Christmas! Maybe Santa will bring us all a foot of snow! Except @Heelyes and @Brent they have had plenty lately!

As it was 66 degrees this afternoon in late December, I questioned whether it will indeed ever snow here again. I’m not sure. ?

2nd half of February is really early. Even for there i would think.
I had 2.5” on 2/8/2020, but the city had nothing. There is a pretty significant gradient along the 25 mile stretch between where I am in northern Cobb county and the city. Early February is fair game for us. I receive northwest flow snow showers here usually 3-5 times per year, sometimes more.

I had 2.5” on 2/8/2020, but the city had nothing. There is a pretty significant gradient along the 25 mile stretch between where I am in northern Cobb county and the city. Early February is fair game for us. I receive northwest flow snow showers here usually 3-5 times per year, sometimes more.
What's KATL average. About 2 inches per year?

What's KATL average. About 2 inches per year?
That’s right, 2.2”.

It really is incredible the gradient in past storms between here and KATL. We had 10-12” in 12/8, KATL had 2”. In 1993 this area had 15”, KATL had 4”. 2011 and 2016 and many other times it was a vast difference.

It’s fortunate to have this AJC article since the record keeping around here is so abysmal.

Top snowfalls in Cobb County, GA

1. 15” 3/13/93
2. 10.5” 1/22/87
3. 10” 12/8/17
4. 7” 1/10/2011
5. 5.5” 1/251991

So this is 37.5” with just 4 storms inside the current 30 year average. That’s a 1.25” average just from those four storms. There have been at least a dozen or more 1-3” storms during that 30 year time frame. Our average would be right around 3” or so.

That’s right, 2.2”.

It really is incredible the gradient in past storms between here and KATL. We had 10-12” in 12/8, KATL had 2”. In 1993 this area had 15”, KATL had 4”. 2011 and 2016 and many other times it was a vast difference.
Yeah it's incredible the gradient in the Carolinas and GA. Tigerville about 12 miles north of GSP Airport averages 5.9 inches. Laurens about 25 miles south of GSP averages 2.7 inches. That's a brutal difference of 177 inches to 81 inches total over the 30 year cycle just 37 miles apart

And don't get me going on Washington DC! I think it's a 10 inch difference per year between the 2 airports for a total of 300 more inches on the nw vs the se side over 30 years. If I was in that area I'd have to make sure I was nw and just commute if I had to

Yeah it's incredible the gradient in the Carolinas and GA. Tigerville about 12 miles north of GSP Airport averages 5.9 inches. Laurens about 25 miles south of GSP averages 2.7 inches. That's a brutal difference of 177 inches to 81 inches total over the 30 year cycle just 37 miles apart

And don't get me going on Washington DC! I think it's a 10 inch difference per year between the 2 airports for a total of 300 more inches on the nw vs the se side over 30 years. If I was in that area I'd have to make sure I was nw and just commute if I had to
Yep, the differences are ridiculous, Take it from someone who is from there. In Winter Storm Jonas, DCA registered 17.8...lol. IAD was 29.3 in eastern Loudoun County and in western Loudoun they were up near 40 inches at Bluemont. You really have to live on the NW side if you like snow.

I smell something wrong in Jonesville!
It smells like 1300m in here

Yep. Crazy gradient in the northern upstate to the southern upstate. Come up the road about 25 miles to your north 11 miles north of the SC border up hwy 221 and I'm sitting at 7.3 inches a year average since 1981 but that number is starting to go down if we don't starting adding to it. Can't have another goose egg this year or it will start to take a bite out of the average.

Back