• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Winter Weather Support Group

Well, checking in, all I see is warm in February so far, and I just cant trust the weeklies. Certainly we could wedge into seasonal on occasion but nothing that says winter storm. For me, I'm still looking at February as an unlikely long shot. But I'm a weenie, I continue to wait and hope against my better judgement.

View attachment 143238
In all honesty you can pretty much throw these surface temperature maps in the garbage after 7 days or so out, especially on the east coast. There is just simply too strong a CAD signal starting next week on all of the 500mb charts to think these maps will pan out. Not saying that it’s going to be below average everyday or that we’re getting a winter storm out of it, but it’s just not setting up for us to torch after the next several days

I never will forget how much forecasters were trying to catch up with this as it was unfolding. The weekend met on WBTV added a chance of light snow showers to the CLT metro forecast on the Sunday 6pm forecast with a better chance the further east you go. Then by the 11pm news he said that southeast parts of the viewing area could see up to a quick inch but that it wouldn’t be a big deal… those areas of course still has several inches of snow on the ground from the Saturday and Saturday night system and had a coat of ice on top from some ZR on Sunday morning. Then my dog woke me up needing to go out just before 3am on Monday morning and I was having trouble get back to sleep so I turned the TV and Paul Kocin was giving a live update on the Weather Channel talking about how the models were going crazy with some energy that was dropping down that was about 1000 miles further southeast than what models has indicated the day before. Then when I finally woke up for good just before 8 and turned on the TV, Al Conklin was on TV showing a WSW had just been issued and put the radar up and said that we were about to get dumped on.

I never will forget how much forecasters were trying to catch up with this as it was unfolding. The weekend met on WBTV added a chance of light snow showers to the CLT metro forecast on the Sunday 6pm forecast with a better chance the further east you go. Then by the 11pm news he said that southeast parts of the viewing area could see up to a quick inch but that it wouldn’t be a big deal… those areas of course still has several inches of snow on the ground from the Saturday and Saturday night system and had a coat of ice on top from some ZR on Sunday morning. Then my dog woke me up needing to go out just before 3am on Monday morning and I was having trouble get back to sleep so I turned the TV and Paul Kocin was giving a live update on the Weather Channel talking about how the models were going crazy with some energy that was dropping down that was about 1000 miles further southeast than what models has indicated the day before. Then when I finally woke up for good just before 8 and turned on the TV, Al Conklin was on TV showing a WSW had just been issued and put the radar up and said that we were about to get dumped on.
Something like that could never happen in 2024 could it ?

I was only 10 at the time and remember my parents let me spend the night at my grandparents house that Sunday night, thinking school would cancel due to icy patches on the roads from another storm a couple days earlier. I woke up that Monday morning and found out CMS hadn’t canceled after all. Lo and behold, we ended up having an early dismissal just a couple hours later as conditions were rapidly deteriorating.

I love stories like this. Thank you for sharing! I was 8 during this storm. I wish I had memory of the hours leading up to it.

I was only 10 at the time and remember my parents let me spend the night at my grandparents house that Sunday night, thinking school would cancel due to icy patches on the roads from another storm a couple days earlier. I woke up that Monday morning and found out CMS hadn’t canceled after all. Lo and behold, we ended up having an early dismissal just a couple hours later as conditions were rapidly deteriorating.
Yeah I was surprised when CMS didn’t cancel to start with that day. There had just been 5 inches of snow 36 hours earlier and ice on top of it…side streets had a lot of icy patches on them. Then of course schools ended up dismissing by 9am as by that point the southern part of the county was just getting hammered

Back