• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Winter Weather Support Group

If it actually turns out to look like that, and it doesn't snow on us, or at least give us a trackable threat, I give up. I don't know what else we need and I'm wasting my time and energy honestly. Hoping the snow means on the ensembles start to at least creep up modestly.
Agreed...it doesn't necessarily have to snow in Raleigh but snow somewhere from in GA/SC/NC get a small 1-2" to get one on the scoreboard. Pattern is going to relax and we are looking at end of January before we could see a more favorable pattern develop again.

Hot take... this pattern/block has never looked good for us, It's developing too far north towards the pole. It's in a great spot to deliver cold and snow to Canada and New England.

Usually you'd assume it's still a great look as modeled b/c it is going to eventually retrograde west as it breaks down, which is typically money for us, but it seems like we're going to have a solid week+ where it's stationary,(too far north), then when it finally retrogrades west and the vortex kicks east, that's going to happen at rocket ship speed and leave us with a very short window for something good.(and no modeling is showing anything capitalizing on that short window so far other that a little noise on CMCE and a few GEFS members showing some nuisance level freezing rain events).

Hot take... this pattern/block has never looked good for us, It's developing too far north towards the pole. It's in a great spot to deliver cold and snow to Canada and New England.

Usually you'd assume it's still a great look as modeled b/c it is going to eventually retrograde west as it breaks down, which is typically money for us, but it seems like we're going to have a solid week+ where it's stationary,(too far north), then when it finally retrogrades west and the vortex kicks east, that's going to happen at rocket ship speed and leave us with a very short window for something good.(and no modeling is showing anything capitalizing on that short window so far).
if it were too fart north we wouldn't be shearing everything to pieces after day 7

if it were too fart north we wouldn't be shearing everything to pieces after day 7
Meh, that's more a product of TPV stalling too far west over Canada. Shift the block south and it can't hang out there for a week anymore.

This is a horrible location for the TPV to be for us to score. Just looking at that map you'd think we would evolve in to a solid window with a banging pattern. But for whatever reason we drew the short straw and somehow it gets hung up just like that for a long time and then rapidly breaks down, (shrinking our window to a very short period).

But hey, maybe something will change on the modeling today and things will look better. It just looks really bleak right now, imo.

Screen Shot 2024-01-10 at 9.45.00 AM.png

Usually you'd assume it's still a great look as modeled b/c it is going to eventually retrograde west as it breaks down, which is typically money for us, but it seems like we're going to have a solid week+ where it's stationary,(too far north), then when it finally retrogrades west and the vortex kicks east, that's going to happen at rocket ship speed and leave us with a very short window for something good.(and no modeling is showing anything capitalizing on that short window so far other that a little noise on CMCE and a few GEFS members showing some nuisance level freezing rain events).
Well we better hope something pops up in Jan. I've done some digging and if we don't get on the board in Jan history says there will be no Fab Feb. Fab Febs are reserved for winters already on the board by then.

There have been 33 years where GSP has only recorded at TR or less through Feb 1st. Only 4 have finished above the current 30 year average of 4.7 inches.
1893-94 7.0"
1894-95 14.5"
1926-27 9.7"
1928-29 5.6"

Only 2 have finished close to average. Above 4 inches but less that the 4.7"
1898-99 4.3"
2008-09 4.4"

17 finished with less than 1 inch total. So the remaining 10 finished between 1-4 inches. Not exactly encouraging looking at the long range. If we reach Jan 25th and have no snow and no hope through Feb 1st I'm hanging it up for a good winter because the data days it's an unrealistic expectation at that point. Sure it may snow but it'll likely only be a novelty event and nothing major. This is for GSP only maybe RDU and other have better stats. But I think CLT is similar.

Agreed...it doesn't necessarily have to snow in Raleigh but snow somewhere from in GA/SC/NC get a small 1-2" to get one on the scoreboard. Pattern is going to relax and we are looking at end of January before we could see a more favorable pattern develop again.
I don't think it matters even if we have a "good pattern," or if it's Nina or Nino. It's just timing and luck to get snow here. I have seen people talk about how good the pattern looks over the years and we still ended up with nothing.

I'm just looking at the writing on the wall... We have little to no chance with the day 6 threat east of the apps... then if you look for a day 9-10 threat on ensembles (b/c no operationals have shown anything all week), other than a couple freezing rain events 95% of them don't show any wintry for us. (I guess there's a tiny bit of snow noise on the Canadian ensembles, but bleh).

Then you have fairly good consensus the pattern is going to re-schuffle post day 12 in to something not conducive for us, (all the ensembles have us moderating to above normal temps then).

That gets us in to January 23/24th or so, Not good.

Other than a really lucky break in our favor with modeling the next few days, we're now looking in to the February Webb window for something.
I’ll be honest I’m starting to think all that fab Feb talk is gonna end up being a huge disappointment. We will see.

I’ll be honest I’m starting to think all that fab Feb talk is gonna end up being a huge disappointment. We will see.
It is unless we get something this month. And that's looking less likely with each passing day. See my latest post in this thread to see why the odds are against us

It is unless we get something this month. And that's looking less likely with each passing day. See my latest post in this thread to see why the odds are against us
I assume this data is all winters and not nino ones?Of course the nino ones may look worse. If nino winters where we do not score before Feb 1st follow by showing a poor feb snow performance then we might need to adjust our expectations. ;)

Back