• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Winter Storm January 6th-10th #2

Shawn said:
DLI4SCwx said:
Shawn...How are things looking over there in Lexington?

Rain drops slowly getting colder and falling on my AC slower and slower.
I hope we can squeeze something out of this and not let it be a "total" disaster. I mean anything at this point would be nice. Glad to see over Corey's way, they may be getting a last push so to speak.

CoreyTheSecond said:
Shawn said:
CoreyTheSecond said:
Not sure on the exact cause but it needs to expand northward.

Upper level + surface low create a stretching motion of air.  Develop a "sometimes" steep band of precip on the back end.

Thanks Shawn. Can this precip ever get heavy?

Of course.  Sometimes you get your best snow rates per hour in these bands.  For this kind of event though, nothing nuts.  Something nice to see for a while.  Highly doubt you will hit your forecast totals of snow with it.

DLI4SCwx said:
Shawn said:
DLI4SCwx said:
Shawn...How are things looking over there in Lexington?

I hope we can squeeze something out of this and not let it be a "total" disaster. I mean anything at this point would be nice. Glad to see over Corey's way, they may be getting a last push so to speak.

Expect a bit of rain to sleet.  Then some snow falling in.  It might be small and grain like with the cold air flooding in.  Then the flakes will slowly start to fall apart to more of a sleet look (single grain of ice) and back to freezing drizzle.

By the time things get really cold enough for a bigger snow, dry air will infiltrate the snow growth region (the place where snow forms) and be poop.

Shawn said:
DLI4SCwx said:
Shawn said:

Expect a bit of rain to sleet.  Then some snow falling in.  It might be small and grain like with the cold air flooding in.  Then the flakes will slowly start to fall apart to more of a sleet look (single grain of ice) and back to freezing drizzle.

By the time things get really cold enough for a bigger snow, dry air will infiltrate the snow growth region (the place  where snow forms) and be poop.
Thanks for that information. I was expecting as much. Depressing to say the least, but expected. Oh well, on to the next one I guess dude. Having said that, we are in for quite a warm up. Just hope it doesn't last too long. I hate wasting days like that in the winter, esp. with a system like this one (QPF loaded). What could've been if things were in our favor.

Shawn said:
CoreyTheSecond said:
Shawn said:
Upper level + surface low create a stretching motion of air.  Develop a "sometimes" steep band of precip on the back end.

Thanks Shawn. Can this precip ever get heavy?

Of course.  Sometimes you get your best snow rates per hour in these bands.  For this kind of event though, nothing nuts.  Something nice to see for a while.  Highly doubt you will hit your forecast totals of snow with it.

Even an inch would be great. The snow right now is tiny little flakes and pretty light. I am not expecting too much unless the intensity picks up. I am getting sleepy though. I might have to go to bed and wake up at daylight.

DLI4SCwx said:
Shawn said:
DLI4SCwx said:

By the time things get really cold enough for a bigger snow, dry air will infiltrate the snow growth region (the place  where snow forms) and be poop.
Thanks for that information. I was expecting as much. Depressing to say the least, but expected. Oh well, on to the next one I guess dude. Having said that, we are in for quite a warm up. Just hope it doesn't last too long. I hate wasting days like that in the winter, esp. with a system like this one (QPF loaded). What could've been if things were in our favor.

We do well in Feb by climo.  Sadly.  The rest of Jan is ruined for us down here.

Still getting light snow this hour...precip reblooming over ATL...hoping that trend continues at the shortwave moves into the area *crosses fingers* Still nothing overhead on radar here but its definitely snowing small to sometimes medium flakes.

Shawn said:
DLI4SCwx said:
Shawn said:

We do well in Feb by climo.  Sadly.  The rest of Jan is ruined for us down here.
Yep, I know Feb. is typically our best month climo wise. But, i'm not feeling it this winter.  I hope i'm wrong, but I get a feeling it will be like the past few winters we've had recently.

DLI4SCwx said:
Shawn said:
DLI4SCwx said:

Yep, I know Feb. is typically our best month climo wise. But, i'm not feeling it this winter.  I hope i'm wrong, but I get a feeling it will be like the past few winters we've had recently.

It will likely fail for us, but look.  I just saved this crap accuweather radar image.. and outlined it.   Hopefully it will fill in along the line i made (in red)... if not, we are 100% shut out.

Shawn said:
DLI4SCwx said:
Shawn said:

It will likely fail for us, but look.  I just saved this crap accuweather radar image.. and outlined it.   Hopefully it will fill in along the line i made (in red)... if not, we are 100% shut out.

Wishful thinking i'm afraid.  It obviously can happen, but that's rather anemic at the moment.  I'd gladly take it though.

DLI4SCwx said:
Shawn said:
DLI4SCwx said:

Wishful thinking i'm afraid.  It obviously can happen, but that's rather anemic at the moment.  I'd gladly take it though.

If it actually gets going, it will explode on radar. I'm sure we'll get screwed though.

Shawn said:
DLI4SCwx said:
Shawn said:

If it actually gets going, it will explode on radar.  I'm sure we'll get screwed though.
LOL...We will get screwed man!  Look at where we live, just about every time it happens to end up on the wrong side for us.

LOL. The funny thing is, the precip looks kinda impressive under my porch lamp at the right angle. But I went outside under the street lamp and can't really even see anything falling. It's barely heavier than a drizzle here. I think I am going to bed. I wanna get up at sunrise to see the ice in daylight at it's full potential. Hopefully this band of snow will grow and intensify, but I am not sure. Something to watch for sure, but I am too sleepy. Goodnight all and best of luck to everyone.

Okay, snow looks a bit heavier now and wind is stronger. I might stay up for another 10 mins. Snow is still light, but more than a drizzle now :)

Snow flakes getting bigger here. Still extremely small, but it's an improvement. Who knows, maybe Atlanta will get a quick inch. Band Building up towards NW Ga too. Might pass north of ATL. But....maybe another band will form. I don't know. But....I am going to go to bed. Hopefully I will wake up to some flurries at least.

CoreyTheSecond said:
Okay, snow looks a bit heavier now and wind is stronger. I might stay up for another 10 mins. Snow is still light, but more than a drizzle now :)
Good luck Corey, hope you can end up with something good!

DLI4SCwx said:
CoreyTheSecond said:
Good luck Corey, hope you can end up with something good!

Thanks. You too. Have a good night.

Back