• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Winter Storm January 6th-10th #2

JtSmarts said:
Good news is we really should be done with our drought.
We needed the rain no doubt. Just wish it wasn't at the expense of a good snowstorm. Imagine with all this QPF, had it been colder,  and with the SLP being further south. Maybe we will luck out at some point this winter.

DLI4SCwx said:
JtSmarts said:
Good news is we really should be done with our drought.
We needed the rain no doubt. Just wish it wasn't at the expense of a good snowstorm. Imagine with all this QPF, had it been colder,  and with the SLP being further south. Maybe we will luck out at some point this winter.

If the storm had just been about 18 hours slower we could have a bomb.

Man looking at the precip shield...I have a feeling that my prediction of this being about done by mid morning looks to be true, this storm just came too fast and the backbuilding the NAM had isn't going to happen. Oh well...

GeorgiaGirl said:
Man looking at the precip shield...I have a feeling that my prediction of this being about done by mid morning looks to be true, this storm just came too fast and the backbuilding the NAM had isn't going to happen. Oh well...
Thus is the nature of winter wx here in the south. Seen that happen so many times!  Things have to be about perfect for us to capitalize.

Man. I wish this would have came overnight like it was originally. Wow at the difference it would have made. Damn warm nose. I had more fun watching models all week and listening to you guys' insights than the actual sleetfest I got. Thank you guys all! Was fun. Luckily winter has just begun so hopefully we get another one and actually get snow this time.

I feel real bad for Tony (dsaur). It was looking promising for him finally getting a good sleet south of ATL and it has been mainly rain (and maybe some ZR??) there I think so far with the steady precip looking to end soon per radar. Even the city has unexpectedly gotten mainly ZR after the initial R instead of what I expected to be mainly IP with SN later. 925's per MeteoStar were in the -2C to -3C range! What happened?? This stinks for them. The GFS is busting hard. The Euro is going to verify much better it appears there.

As I see it, there was no high, no wedging, and no cold air already in place, which made it tougher. Regarding qpf, NW winds probably didn't help ATL though I'll have to see what the total rainfall ends up at. I don't think this is going to make it to major ZR status (widespread power outages are not seen on the GA power map) at ATL, itself, though I am reading from Corey the snow dancer ;) that there have been some. The GFS was giving much of ATL, especially city south, 1"+. The 12Z GFS had 1.5"! Thank goodness that didn't verify with it being mainly ZR!

GaWx said:
ISoutheastRidge said:
Final measurement looks to be 2.25"

Congrats!

Thanks. I'm happy. Sure i would have loved 6" or more but this is enough to make everything look beautiful. It never even got to 32 degrees until about 20 min ago. It was 33-35 the entire time it snowed !

Still snowing here, small line set up over me. Small flakes but pretty moderately coming down.

campamy said:
Still snowing here, small line set up over me. Small flakes but pretty moderately coming down.

You're going to end up the biggest winner out of all of this!  :s

Shawn said:
campamy said:

Sure is! Funny thing, Tennessee was pretty much out of the game per modeling. Just shows the weather does what it wants and models only do so much. Congrats on your snow. I'm jealous.

Shawn said:
campamy said:

Still surprised... All week been jealous of what my hometown in Georgia was supposed to

get! Road outside my subdivision about an hour ago. Hate it for my husband going to work in the morning.

campamy said:
Shawn said:
campamy said:

Still surprised... All week been jealous of what my hometown in Georgia was supposed to

get! Road outside my subdivision about an hour ago. Hate it for my husband going to work in the morning.
Wow! Congrats on the snow! That looks great. Hope he gets to work just fine.

Just got off work and made it home. Hazardous travels all across eastern TN this early January 8, 2017 2" or so @ Cleveland 37311. Roads are snow, ice covered.

1zz2ebn.jpg

CoreyTheSecond said:
Thankful that the ice appears to be winding down in Atlanta.
Sorry it didn't work out for you this time Corey as far as snow goes. Hope you guys over in the ATL, can do better next go round.

I removed the observation thread. Continue posting all pictures, temps, precip, etc here instead.

Back