• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Winter Storm Dec 7-10

wrf-arw2_asnow_seus_40.png
one more lol

This map is a great explanation of what we are taking about. You can see tell how spots of higher totals are woven in to areas of much lower totals. Personally this event highly favors the higher areas of Cleburne, Clay and Randolph counties.

Problem is North of i20 will have precip problems. Even the new nam run while a shift NW took place , it's still very limited with moisture North of i20

I would still closely watch areas north of I-20. Even if the models themselves don't shift NW with the precip, I've seen many instances in overrunning situations where the precip spreads farther north than the models are indicating.

Downtown ATL and surrounding areas are way overdue for something good. If it's not this storm it will be another one for sure. I think tomorrow will be telling wherever this heavy band sets up I would imagine there will be pockets of colder temps to support more accumulation. Anything here this time of year is definitely a bonus.

This map is a great explanation of what we are taking about. You can see tell how spots of higher totals are woven in to areas of much lower totals. Personally this event highly favors the higher areas of Cleburne, Clay and Randolph counties.

I've seen Cleburne be the sweet spot many times

Arcc, with those higher rater down SW bama where im from, just about all the models have been showing heavier totals down here. Do you think im in a sweet spot?

Downtown ATL and surrounding areas are way overdue for something good. If it's not this storm it will be another one for sure. I think tomorrow will be telling wherever this heavy band sets up I would imagine there will be pockets of colder temps to support more accumulation. Anything here this time of year is definitely a bonus.
I think this is the year Atl finally gets some snow after nearly 4 snowless years at the airport. And yes anything even a trace of snow would be a major feat this early in the winter. I personally have never seen any snow on the ground in early December.

Any guesses about how much SN Greensboro will get? I've been asked about this.

Arcc, with those higher rater down SW bama where im from, just about all the models have been showing heavier totals down here. Do you think im in a sweet spot?

It's hard to say, you very well could be. What you need for more accumulation is to sustain the higher rates which wI'll be close to you in actuality. If the stars align you may make out better than us to the north.

This will be a very touchy event. There will rejoicing and weeping and gnashing if teeth, unless the precip does pan out then it's all of the latter.

For Bama folks specifically, keep in mind that we don't have a major warm nose in the mid-levels nor do we have a moisture deprived dendritic region which are the main negative players we normally have in these borderline events. Our main issue is a relatively warm boundary layer which is easier to overcome. If rates are high enough, yes, we could see some decent accumulation, while the snow is falling. But when the precip ends it will be a race with the cold air filtering in to keep any residual snow on the ground.

Back