• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Winter Discussion 2023/24

I'd have to agree. I find it very hard to believe the month of February, in any enso regime is going to be cold considering the last 10 years.

Like I’ve said before, we haven’t had an El Niño like this in about 10 years. I wouldn’t factor recent history much into this at all.

Like I’ve said before, we haven’t had an El Niño like this in about 10 years. I wouldn’t factor recent history much into this at all.

I hear you, and hope you're right Webb. I'm just not sure everything works the way it's supposed to anymore. Don't worry, you're on record, we get a cold and stormy February, you notch a win:).

Dec 27 - my thoughts on the pattern ahead (Day 10-30 forecast)...

uGlwe8r.png

And here is my experimental Pac Jet Index where I use: 1) Model Ensemble Output, 2) AAM/GWO/GSDM, 3) Tropical Forcing/MJO, and 4) Forecaster Input to attempt to forecast the eastern extent of the Pac Jet (90 knots at 200mb / 5-day average), to aid in the 10-30 day outlook

Pac Jet eastern extent in: 1) Purple box = retracted jet / -PNA pattern 2) Blue box = +EPO if jet is reaching poleward; -EPO and/or +PNA if jet is extending west to east 3) Red box = +EPO if jet is ext & reaching poleward; Strong zonal flow if jet is extending west to east

In addition, one has to factor in whether the jet is in the process of extending or retracting into these boxes when determining the resultant pattern.

PBcNOpT.png

uGlwe8r.png

And here is my experimental Pac Jet Index where I use: 1) Model Ensemble Output, 2) AAM/GWO/GSDM, 3) Tropical Forcing/MJO, and 4) Forecaster Input to attempt to forecast the eastern extent of the Pac Jet (90 knots at 200mb / 5-day average), to aid in the 10-30 day outlook

Pac Jet eastern extent in: 1) Purple box = retracted jet / -PNA pattern 2) Blue box = +EPO if jet is reaching poleward; -EPO and/or +PNA if jet is extending west to east 3) Red box = +EPO if jet is ext & reaching poleward; Strong zonal flow if jet is extending west to east

In addition, one has to factor in whether the jet is in the process of extending or retracting into these boxes when determining the resultant pattern.

PBcNOpT.png
Kicking can still continues unfortunately ? I'm curious when will most know if the SSW will happen or at least a split for sure or not. I'm still hoping it does

Kicking can still continues unfortunately ? I'm curious when will most know if the SSW will happen or at least a split for sure or not. I'm still hoping it does
It can happen anytime. We just need before end of Jan or so to help our area. Beyond that propagation to make a difference gets really pushed out of prime time.

It can happen anytime. We just need before end of Jan or so to help our area. Beyond that propagation to make a difference gets really pushed out of prime time.
If it happens late, it will do most of us outside higher elevations no good. We do have a -qbo and typically it promotes a SSW from what I've learned

uGlwe8r.png

PBcNOpT.png
Dang I can’t even lie, that sucks.

I’m still in the camp that I expect we get some looks by mid January. Specifically east of the mountains. Trough dumping west and
-NAO means Miller B/CAD potential. It won’t be the board wide stuff but those in the CAD regions I think have a solid chance at a storm even before February

I’m still in the camp that I expect we get some looks by mid January. Specifically east of the mountains. Trough dumping west and
-NAO means Miller B/CAD potential. It won’t be the board wide stuff but those in the CAD regions I think have a solid chance at a storm even before February
When do we see the board wife stuff. Never?

If it happens late, it will do most of us outside higher elevations no good. We do have a -qbo and typically it promotes a SSW from what I've learned

It’s very likely going to happen but based on recent history the cold probably dumps out west or into Europe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just to clear the air here on some of the previous misleading commentary on here that talked about winter basically being "over" if we have to wait til the end of January or early February for a winter storm this year.

When you actually look at the data, you actually find that for "major" winter storms (4"+ snows or 0.25"+ of ice) in central NC during moderate-strong El Niño winters, 50% of them actually occur after February 5th. I.e. winter is only half over by Feb 5th in El Niños.

Only 10% of "major" winter storms occur before January 1st, and a third of them even by the middle of January during Nino winters.

We're still about 5 weeks away even from the half way point of the winter this year.

We've got a very long ways to go folks. Even if the next few-several weeks produce little to nothing, winter is very far from over.

Screenshot 2023-12-27 at 6.54.33 PM.png

Just to clear the air here on some of the previous misleading commentary on here that talked about winter basically being "over" if we have to wait til the end of January or early February for a winter storm this year.

When you actually look at the data, you actually find that for "major" winter storms (4"+ snows or 0.25"+ of ice) in central NC during moderate-strong El Niño winters, 50% of them actually occur after February 5th. I.e. winter is only half over by Feb 5th in El Niños.

Only 10% of "major" winter storms occur before January 1st, and a third of them even by the middle of January during Nino winters.

We're still about 5 weeks away even from the half way point of the winter this year.

We've got a very long ways to go folks. Even if the next few-several weeks produce little to nothing, winter is very far from over.

View attachment 139217
My question is in todays climate how much should we look at stats from the past. I feel like things are changing (for the worst) so fast that what happened years ago don’t even matter as much anymore. What do you think?

Back