• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Winter Discussion 2023/24

Webb's concerns with Northern snow cover are valid. Looking at 240 hr + maps and thinking the solutions are anywhere near to reality is not a good idea.

Late January into mid February is where I'm at. We will have an active Southern jet in most likelihood, with the cold and moisture meeting up in an El nino like this.

Also, 500mb anomaly maps via ensemble means doesn't necessarily mean cold surface temperatures. Webb alluded it takes time to propagate downward and it moderates. Regardless we will swing and miss more than hit.

Someone in the southeast gonna score first week in January.
We will likely have a couple marginal events (marginal temperatures) before someone further South scores deeper into January. Got to have those tone setter storms first. That’s how some of our best Winters have evolved. You miss a few times then a big one comes later on.

We will likely have a couple marginal events (marginal temperatures) before someone further South scores deeper into January. Got to have those tone setter storms first. That’s how some of our best Winters have evolved. You miss a few times then a big one comes later on.

To me, if it's cold, it's cold. It'll snow. I don't necessarily think snow cover is a must but I'm sure it would help. Question is for the first week of January, will it be cold? The below looks like from H5 it should work, with cross polar flow, a lobe of the PV near baffin bay and even a bit of Atlantic-nao showing up. But the 2 meter temp doesn't really respond, so I don't know. We just need it cold and if it happens quick, we can score. To me that's why we're starting to see fantasy storms that week. Weird ones, but they're starting. Below may be wrong completely, but if it ends up looking like that, I like our chances.

1703182706251.png

To me, if it's cold, it's cold. It'll snow. I don't necessarily think snow cover is a must but I'm sure it would help. Question is for the first week of January, will it be cold? The below looks like from H5 it should work, with cross polar flow, a lobe of the PV near baffin bay and even a bit of Atlantic-nao showing up. But the 2 meter temp doesn't really respond, so I don't know. We just need it cold and if it happens quick, we can score. To me that's why we're starting to see fantasy storms that week. Weird ones, but they're starting. Below may be wrong completely, but if it ends up looking like that, I like our chances.

View attachment 138854
Definitely agree. We don't need it but it certainly is great to have. It would be awesome to just start a favorable pattern off with a banger.

Back