• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Winter Discussion 2023/24

The same physical processes working to retract the Pacific Jet Stream & generate Western Canada blocking/+PNA in early January will also try to drop a mean trough over the western half of the CONUS as we approach mid-January.

Although the prototypical -PNA pattern will be significantly muted & smeared in this case for obvious ENSO-related reasons (i.e. I wouldn't expect a particularly persistent or intense SE US ridge here (if at all)).... ...this large-scale signal is definitely legit, esp. given the forthcoming collapse of the +IOD that'll help enhance the expression of Indian Ocean-related convective + downstream circulation anomalies.

This is the kind of pattern we need to see to restore the snow pack over the northern tier of the US going into our prime window for winter weather (late Jan-early Feb)

Screenshot 2023-12-19 at 6.55.26 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-12-19 at 6.55.49 AM.png

ecmwf-weeklies-avg-namer-z500_anom_7day-5276800.png

gfs-ensemble-extended-all-avg-namer-z500_anom_7day-5276800.png

I'm still skeptical of legit winter storm potential in/around early January.

It's possible we could sneak something in, but this looks like one of those cases where the circulation pattern is quite favorable for a winter storm, but the actual cold air may not be there because of how warm the pattern is beforehand.

The same physical processes working to retract the Pacific Jet Stream & generate Western Canada blocking/+PNA in early January will also try to drop a mean trough over the western half of the CONUS as we approach mid-January.

Although the prototypical -PNA pattern will be significantly muted & smeared in this case for obvious ENSO-related reasons (i.e. I wouldn't expect a particularly persistent or intense SE US ridge here (if at all)).... ...this large-scale signal is definitely legit, esp. given the forthcoming collapse of the +IOD that'll help enhance the expression of Indian Ocean-related convective + downstream circulation anomalies.

This is the kind of pattern we need to see to restore the snow pack over the northern tier of the US going into our prime window for winter weather (late Jan-early Feb)

View attachment 138775

View attachment 138778

View attachment 138776

View attachment 138777
Do you see it evolving with the cold spreading east like some models have or the PNA spiking and driving the trof east? The CFS seems to like the first option.

Its 9 degrees up top and windchill about -10 - -15.

View attachment 138774
I went skiing up at beech last January during that cold outbreak. They got about 6” up on Beech. When those wind chill values get into the -10’s she’s a whole different animal. It’s a different world up there.

View attachment 138775

View attachment 138778

View attachment 138776

View attachment 138777
already kicking the can to february i see, in true southeast fashion

The GFS was interesting for the same time period too.
Yeah that time period is worth keeping an eye on. It has some pretty serious challenges with cold air availability and moisture return but if you are like me and just want to see some snow flakes in the air we've obsessed over worse looks on this site

Back