• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Winter Discussion 2023/24

This would be fun to get folks on the board during the first week in January.
View attachment 138745
Initially acknowledging this is out in fantasy land, I personally would like this outcome. But it would be real nice to get an eastern storm where I don't have to sweat out the transition line (Wake County cut off). And to give some of our friends down east some snow.

If you want an ensemble on your side, you want it to be the EPS.

Even the gefs, which was more central Canadian block happy and further east with that GOAK low, has recently looked much more like the EPS. Worth noting this is a 5 day mean View attachment 138742View attachment 138743

5 run trend loop of GEFS for Jan 1...move toward EPS as noted

0kDEVEI.gif

8k58qsb.gif

This is the most textbook +PNA you can get. If we can get that Baffin Bay TPV to sink further south, that’s a valid cold source View attachment 138738View attachment 138739View attachment 138740View attachment 138741
Something I would also watch in the next week is how much snow cover is able to hold on in eastern Canada. That region has been able keep a decent snow pack unlike areas out west. If the snowpack can hold on there, it could help areas east of the mountains to get in the game sooner with good CAD.

This is the most textbook +PNA you can get. If we can get that Baffin Bay TPV to sink further south, that’s a valid cold source View attachment 138738View attachment 138739View attachment 138740View attachment 138741
There's no blocking, -nao on the EPS, but I've come to the conclusion we'll never have a good Atlantic and Pacific at the same time. To me it looks great, Alaska ridge is tall enough to get us cold enough, with the southern stream active sending pulses to our south and off the coast. Would be a trackable time at least. Hope it doesn't disappear, and GEFS keeps going for a beautiful start to January.

I really, really don't want to have to put my hope in a February pattern change.

There's no blocking, -nao on the EPS, but I've come to the conclusion we'll never have a good Atlantic and Pacific at the same time. To me it looks great, Alaska ridge is tall enough to get us cold enough, with the southern stream active sending pulses to our south and off the coast. Would be a trackable time at least. Hope it doesn't disappear, and GEFS keeps going for a beautiful start to January.

I really, really don't want to have to put my hope in a February pattern change.
Yeah me either. I know we haven't had many El Ninos lately which are know for cold February's. But we've had plenty of La Ninas that are known for cold December's and haven't managed but one since 2010 that was below average and that was after a historic cold shot last year. GSP finished -2.2 February hasn't been much better since 2015 so it's going to take me seeing a good February pattern this year to believe it.

12z Canadian Stops at hr 240/ Dec 28th. But it supports that date as the pattern changer bullseye. Looks similar to Eps, GFS op advertising a pattern reshuffle.
That guy with the initials JB has said that date for several weeks now for big change. Also has said good potential first of January he would think but we shall see

Yeah me either. I know we haven't had many El Ninos lately which are know for cold February's. But we've had plenty of La Ninas that are known for cold December's and haven't managed but one since 2010 that was below average and that was after a historic cold shot last year. GSP finished -2.2 February hasn't been much better since 2015 so it's going to take me seeing a good February pattern this year to believe it.

At this point I'll settle for not seeing Cherry trees blooming everywhere the second week of February. If it's cold enough to keep that from happening, score. Lol.

Back