• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Winter Discussion 2023/24

Wasn't sure what thread to post this in, but I finally put together a preliminary freezing rain frequency climatology map together for NC using estimates from a collection storms that encompass the last 31 years.

The Triad area is the freezing rain capital of NC & arguably the SE US + southern-mid Atlantic as a whole.

NC Ice Storm Maps (1992-2023)
NC Freezing Rain (ZR) Events Per Year Climatology 1992-2023v3.jpg

Wasn't sure what thread to post this in, but I finally put together a preliminary freezing rain frequency climatology map together for NC using estimates from a collection storms that encompass the last 31 years.

The Triad area is the freezing rain capital of NC & arguably the SE US + southern-mid Atlantic as a whole.

View attachment 138685
I would kill for someone to make these nice maps for Georgia. I know you’ve done it for the entire SE a couple of times.

Great work man!

I would kill for someone to make these nice maps for Georgia. I know you’ve done it for the entire SE a couple of times.

Great work man!
It would be almost impossible with as bad as the record keeping is in this state.

Last edited:

View attachment 138685

Those numbers are dropping fast as even tree toppers are non existent now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These values are likely a slight underestimate of reality, as there are many nickel + dime events I probably haven't found yet.
Go check out JB video today if you haven't already. He mentions about a forecaster competition that is on his page that any good forecaster, like yourself, can enter.

Exactly what you want to see. Ridge backing up towards the N.W territories and AK, and the TPV in Baffin Bay starting to sink south View attachment 138703
Really good agreement too on both the GEFS and GEPS as well. Also the process that starts it really kinda gets going next weekend so it’s not exactly in fantasy land.

Really good agreement too on both the GEFS and GEPS as well. Also the process that starts it really kinda gets going next weekend so it’s not exactly in fantasy land.
Yep. Think the #1 thing to watch and hope not for is another momentum surge in the jet that puts us back in square one, or keeps the GOAK vortex in place with the can block

Last edited:
Yep. Think the #1 thing to watch and hope not for is another momentum surge in the jet that puts us back in square one, or keeps the GOAK vortex in place with the can block
Absolutely. Fortunately, what we’re seeing on the ensembles is pretty much following how you would expect a moderate to strong El Nino to evolve.

December may end up below normal now. Really good shot
Not really. This week looks to be the peak of the Pacific air getting pushed into North America. It looks like the few days around Christmas is going to be well above average… especially with overnight lows.

Not really. This week looks to be the peak of the Pacific air getting pushed into North America. It looks like the few days around Christmas is going to be well above average… especially with overnight lows.
Greensboro sitting at 1.9 AN. Should be right at average by late week. You are correct next weekend is AN, but Dec 28,29,30,31 have a long shot to offset that. Still not the toaster that was being advertised, thats for sure. And I was one of them.

December may end up below normal now. Really good shot

y late week. You are correct next weekend is AN, but Dec 28,29,30,31 have a long shot to offset that. Still not the toaster that was being advertised, thats for sure. And I was one of them.

No.

Most ensembles show near neutral temperatures for the remainder of the month. Unless GSO averages -2F or less the rest of the way, that's not happening.

Back