• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Winter Discussion 2023/24

Are you still expecting a flip to a pretty decent pattern beginning January?

It's going to take a while for real cold air to seep back into the pattern, especially after this warm period zaps a lot of the snow cover to the north. Circulation pattern looks favorable but idk if the cold air will be there.

No wonder it's been so quiet in here the last several days.

If you were hoping to see some snow before January, I honestly can't think of a crappier pattern than this one.
Plenty cold enough for cold rain, but nowhere near cold enough to snow.

Not surprised at all though, this is pretty in line w/ what I was saying in here earlier this week & is par for the course for big El Niños.

View attachment 138418

View attachment 138419
Just out of curiosity… how warm do you think the southeast might get? A month ago, I fully expected to see temperatures approaching December 2015… of course that hasn’t played out. Looking at the 500mb charts for later this week and leading up to Christmas, I would think that temperatures at the surface would be a a good bit warmer than what the modeled output is showing.

Just out of curiosity… how warm do you think the southeast might get? A month ago, I fully expected to see temperatures approaching December 2015… of course that hasn’t played out. Looking at the 500mb charts for later this week and leading up to Christmas, I would think that temperatures at the surface would be a a good bit warmer than what the modeled output is showing.

It doesn't look as warm as 2015, which had a ridge rooted over the SE US. This year we have lot of systems cutting through the subtropics that'll keep our temps in check. Lots of upper 50s - maybe 60s type days, perhaps 70F or two thrown in there, but I wouldn't expect the 80s we had in 2015.

Looks like kicking can down the road will continue for foreseeable future.
When I heard strong El Nino, I kept all the chips I had in my pocket. Have 0 invested expectation wise. Learned my lesson with these. You look for a window to score and take what you can get. Which Ill be doing fully expecting minimal return. They are the toughest to get cold in here and stay.

When I heard strong El Nino, I kept all the chips I had in my pocket. Have 0 invested expectation wise. Learned my lesson with these. You look for a window to score and take what you can get. Which Ill be doing fully expecting minimal return. They are the toughest to get cold in here and stay.
I agree. Hope for at least a few week opportunity for enough cold and snow at some point this winter

Back