• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Winter Discussion 2023/24

I see all the talk is winter weather memories of the past. is there any new information on or outlooks for this upcoming winter?

Oh no, not again................. Ugly run of the CANSIPS
cansips_all_avg_nhemi_z500_anom_season_mostrecent_6745600(10).png

cansips_all_avg_nhemi_t2m_c_anom_season_mostrecent_6745600(1).png

We need a walk down memory lane thread for stories, memories, results comparisons, near misses, disappointments, good ole days musings, talk of yesteryear, and tales from the days of yore.
It’s what you do when you get old!

Outside of the mid week clipper, its gonna be a spring feel December, espeacilly next weekend. The CFS lines up well with Grits forecast, has it snowing in Florida as New year opens up and we head back to work lol. Everyone who forecasted a punt for atleast the first 2 weeks of December, will nail it. The exception, our northern mtn counties will get the ground covered mid week with the clipper.

Outside of the mid week clipper, its gonna be a spring feel December, espeacilly next weekend. The CFS lines up well with Grits forecast, has it snowing in Florida as New year opens up and we head back to work lol. Everyone who forecasted a punt for atleast the first 2 weeks of December, will nail it. The exception, our northern mtn counties will get the ground covered mid week with the clipper.
Looking at the trough placement on the CFS, it appears just more of the same pattern to me. The trough continually sets up from NW to SE in the east, centered over Quebec to just about 800 miles off the SE coast of NC. Not good for anyone west of Raleigh.

Hopefully the last 2 weeks of Dec. will be like 2015. It would be warm and our drought would be gone.

Lord you hate to be in agreement with Joe B but that extreme cold idea is gaining some steam imo as well. I think it would be right around the new year into the first week of Jan if it happens
I would agree if we get either a SSW that focuses cold here or big ridge over Alaska, which extreme cold is very unusual in a stronger niño imo

I would agree if we get either a SSW that focuses cold here or big ridge over Alaska, which extreme cold is very unusual in a stronger niño imo
Yeah I'm not a big believer in extreme cold in a nino so that's part of the reason I'm not on the horse of big time cold but I do see how the ridge could get poleward here and dump some cold

Yeah I'm not a big believer in extreme cold in a nino so that's part of the reason I'm not on the horse of big time cold but I do see how the ridge could get poleward here and dump some cold
I know it's been mentioned quite a bit, but it will be until at least end of December before things change and that depends on progression of the mjo and we need a pacific reset somehow some way. December's really are notorious as being warm in niños. Alot of opinions at American Weather on how things evolve.

Back