• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Winter Discussion 2023/24

What do you mean by that. That it usually repeats itself before winter is over?

Most of the El Nino winters that produced a mean -NAO in December eventually turned into big, blockbuster winters for this board.

Some examples:

1939-40, 1963-64, 1968-69, 1976-77, 1977-78, 1987-88, 2002-03, & 2009-10

NOAA 20CRv3 NAO Index (1836-2015)

Most of the El Nino winters that produced a mean -NAO in December eventually turned into big, blockbuster winters for this board.

Some examples:

Yikes! Those are some epic analog years in there.

I still remember the 63 New Year's Eve snow in New Orleans lol.

Some examples:

Those are some seriously big dog winters. 1939-40 sticks out speaking for Atlanta because January 1940 was the month/year they saw their biggest snowfall on record (just over 10 inches). To this day I don’t think Atlanta has surpassed that number. (Airport really got screwed during Superstorm ‘93 with 4 inches) Which is kinda pathetic when you compare that to other southern cities in the decades since that have had higher snowfall totals from a single storm. Hell, I think Macon got around 17-18 inches from the Feb ‘73 winter storm.?

If I’m not mistaken, most those winters Webber mentions had a December with average to above average temps … so warm December is t really a bad thing . Fact seems like me cold December never leads to a cold n snowy January and February

If I’m not mistaken, most those winters Webber mentions had a December with average to above average temps … so warm December is t really a bad thing . Fact seems like me cold December never leads to a cold n snowy January and February
Never say never. It's happened before. The 70s winters are legendary for a reason because they were epic and probably won't be repeated for a long time

Never say never. It's happened before. The 70s winters are legendary for a reason because they were epic and probably won't be repeated for a long time
Well to be honest with you , it’s been a long time lol

Nothing wrong with an average December. Things start get into motion later December
Id imagine with the initial ridge trying to flare under the -NAO in response to heights dropping out west, and the active STJ, we’re gonna get a Dixie set up soon with a souped up southern stream wave and a nice boundary somewhere separating polar pacific air, and air straight out the gulf

Winter s. In the mid 70s we’re totally epic around here …. Big snows
Big in the Carolinas too..
Several big storms yearly back then,
Also true Miller A's.
When it snowed in Dallas it meant ATL was going to get snow also,
Areas N of these metros were Golden.
The Glory years...
Through 88 maybe 93???

Big in the Carolinas too..
Several big storms yearly back then,
Also true Miller A's.
When it snowed in Dallas it meant ATL was going to get snow also,
Areas N of these metros were Golden.
The Glory years...
Through 88 maybe 93???
Forums would be incredibly bogged down all day and night. Lots of zanex needed ?

I notice the GEFS continues to shorten the early December mild period. Roughly a 5-day period, the 2nd to the 7th at or above normal.

Back