• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Winter Discussion 2023/24

View attachment 138066View attachment 138067
I'm not the smartest guy in the world, but with a ridge over Alaska, nw Canada and somewhat of a -nao, why aren't the models colder? Is it just too early in the season??

I mean I guess it could be too early but I just said it in the other thread too the models notoriously struggle with arctic air. I don't think anything is etched in stone yet. Didn't Halloween trend colder in the final days.. it definitely did here

GEFS extended at the start of astronomical winter. Not too shabby. It would seem rumors of a warm December are on thin ice.
gfs-ens_z500a_namer_131.png

I'm not the smartest guy in the world, but with a ridge over Alaska, nw Canada and somewhat of a -nao, why aren't the models colder? Is it just too early in the season??
-PNA. Idk what the index reads, numerically speaking, but a trough back in the SW pumps a ridge off the SE setting up a...dun dun dun...winter battle zone.

It's a generally good look, but to me, the orientation of the western ridge is tilted in such a way that it's wanting to tuck the colder flow more into the west/midwest. SE ridge is muted but there so yeah. Western trough wants to trough.

Flow across the US gets accelerated and is zonal with the energy dropping into the 4 corners. This slows fronts and keeps the core of the cold to our N and W. Eventually the cold will bleed in but this isn't a dump the arctic into the SE look. That said if we can repeat this look later on in the cold season the snow and ice printer would go brrr, this time of year though it's 48-52 type days and 25-30 nights with occasional cold rain for our parts of the region

Flow across the US gets accelerated and is zonal with the energy dropping into the 4 corners. This slows fronts and keeps the core of the cold to our N and W. Eventually the cold will bleed in but this isn't a dump the arctic into the SE look. That said if we can repeat this look later on in the cold season the snow and ice printer would go brrr
Throw some blocking into SE Canada through Greenland and we'll have some late nights for sure.

GEFS extended at the start of astronomical winter. Not too shabby. It would seem rumors of a warm December are on thin ice.
gfs-ens_z500a_namer_131.png
It certainly wouldn’t be out of the question to have a quick cold shot or two even during a mild months. I just still think, like most do that December will end up mainly mild. I still hold to what I said the other week that I think there’s a better chance that we have a December 2015 repeat than having snow outside the mountains during the month.

Daily CFS observation which now gets out to December 23rd. It has done a 180 from past couple of runs. Below 850's for our area through December, especially week 2 and week 3. I need to start monitoring the weeklies, see which way they are pointing the needle. It's possible we get a better looking Atlantic and some good blocking help in December. Jury is out, but it will be a nice unexpected surprise for all if this develops and becomes the norm December.

Back